Welcome to this blog. This blog is a place where we can express thoughts and feelings ... maybe to share them with other like-minded people. For those who are NOT like-minded (and we've seen a few comments), please will you just leave? Your lack of understanding of our situation in life is not welcome. Please take your words and go elsewhere. For those who may accidentally stumble across this blog AND who know us in real life, please contact us directly to see how we are doing. Do not rely on this blog to inform you. Thanks!

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Thoughts

Lots of thoughts have been going around my head lately. I thought maybe writing them down might be helpful to me.

:::

Newsletters. When did it become "fashionable" to send a family newsletter to everyone you know?

Today we received two. One from my cousin S, and one from Craig's cousin J. The newsletter from S was in electronic form and came via email. The newsletter from J was in paper format and was (thank goodness) only one page long.

S has four children. The youngest is probably about 10/11 and the oldest is a teenager. J has two children. The youngest is 14 and the oldest is now probably about 17/18. Naturally these newsletters were all about their children. Naturally.

To add insult to injury, S visited my youngest sister earlier this year and met her youngest child. She wrote about this visit in her newsletter. She wrote in her newsletter about how "special" it was meet my sister's new child. I have no contact with this sister. I have not met this child. This child was born after Kees died and before Jet was conceived. My youngest sister has four children. I have no contact with her for various reasons (see earlier posts).

So, back to the newsletters.

What could possibly make these cousins think that we might be interested in reading pages (yes, the newsletter from S was many pages long) and pages about their children? Doesn't it occur to them that it might be insensitive to send a newsletter about their children to us?

Quite frankly, I think it doesn't. I honestly think these people don't spend even one SECOND thinking about who they should send their newsletter to. S just sent her electronic newsletter (complete with many photos of her children) to their designated email group. J included her paper newsletter with her christmas cards. They just send their newsletters to EVERYONE.

I sent my cousin S an abrupt email in response. (She sent her condolences upon hearing of Jet's death via text message, which I also find incredibly inappropriate.)

However, these newsletters only confirm (again) what I have long known.

People. Don't. Think.

So when they tell us that they "think of us often", actually they don't. We might pass through their thoughts in a fleeting manner, but they don't actually "think".

:::

We went to our physiotherapist, E, on Tuesday. We go twice a week. Craig has physiotherapy for his knee once a week, and I have physiotherapy for my back twice a week. It's a post pregnancy thing. My back takes a long time to recover after a pregnancy.

Our physiotherapist is a nice woman. She knows all about our children. Her sister's first child was stillborn at 26 weeks. She went on to have a healthy son, and a few weeks ago had her third child, a little girl. This little girl was born with a congenital heart defect, but it was surgically corrected four days after she was born.

We were talking about pregnancies and babies at our most recent appointment. E said something about how people generally expect a healthy baby during a pregnancy, but that we, upon Jet's death, must have expected his death somehow.

I just want to write this down once and for all. Although my pregnancy with Jet (and with Kees) was filled with FEAR (terror actually), I did not expect Jet to die. In fact, I fully expected him to live.

I don't think I actually know any woman who knowingly and willingly becomes pregnant with a child who she expects will die.

No. Woman. Does. That.

Things go wrong. Oh, we all know that too well. But we don't expect it.

In all three of my pregnancies, I knew all too well that things could go wrong, but I did not expect it to happen to me and my baby. I became pregnant with Kees expecting that he would be healthy and would live. I became pregnant with Jet expecting that he would be healthy and would live. In fact, I chose to become pregnant because I expected my children to live.

And you know why??? Because the doctors had told me so. They told me that there was no reason for Freyja's death. They told me it was just "bad luck". That it was statistics. That babies sometimes die for no reason. That she was the 1 in 140. They told me that Kees probably had a virus. They told me it was a coincidence that he died too. They told me his death was 1 in 40,000. They told me that there was no reason for it to happen again. They told me that these two previous deaths had no medical implications on future pregnancies. They told me there was no MEDICAL reason for me not to have any more pregnancies. THEY TOLD ME. But they were wrong.

Let me say it again. I fully expected that each one of my children would LIVE and LIVE LONG.

No woman - NO WOMAN IN THE WORLD - voluntarily enters into a pregnancy for NINE LONG BLOODY MONTHS, knowing that her child will die. I certainly did not. And I certainly did not do it THREE TIMES.

I do not have a disease. I do not have a condition. I do not have high blood pressure. I do not have diabetes. I do not have anything which makes pregnancy a risky venture either for me or for my babies. Nothing that the doctors know of. I have healthy pregnancies. The worst thing that happens to me during pregnancies is heartburn and insomnia. That's it.

So when people like our physiotherapist make the assumption that we must have been "less shocked" by, or "expecting", Jet's death, they are wrong. Very, very wrong. I feared his death. Oh, I feared his death. But I expected his life.

:::

Every night when I go to bed, I lie in bed and say to Craig that I want to go "home". Every night. Sometimes I don't say it to him, but I think it.

And it's a stupid thing to say. Because I am home. This is home. I don't have another home. This is the only home I have.

But I think maybe it's more than that. I think maybe I long for that place of my childhood. That place which is safe.

Remember when you were a child, and your whole world was like a bubble? As a child, you are protected from just about everything. Your parents create a safe environment for you.

I think that's what I'm longing for at night when I say that I want to go home. That safe place.

But of course it doesn't exist. Not any more. I was fortunate that it existed for me as a child. Too many people don't even have the memory of a safe place during their childhood.

My safe place, my bubble, disappeared forever when Freyja died. Gone in a flash. Just like a bubble I guess.

Now, every night, I lie in bed almost aching with longing for that safe place. For home. Every night.

:::

It's 3.36 in the morning here. I can't sleep.

I drank too much wine tonight. When I was younger, wine would put me to sleep and keep me asleep for about 8 or 9 hours. Now that doesn't happen any more. Now I wake up in the middle of the night with a hangover. In the middle of the night. I used to be able to drink a bottle of wine and wake up in the morning and go to work with hardly a sign of a hangover. Now I have two glasses of wine and I get a hangover. Although tonight I drank more than two glasses.

Craig doesn't like it when I drink. Because once I start, I never want to stop. Alcohol is an escape. For a few hours you can fade away. Your mind becomes less focused. You become less sharp. The pain somehow seems to become less.

It's all an illusion of course. I know that. I know it all too well. And I know myself too. I know why Craig fears me drinking too much. And he's right. I fear it too.

I was a single woman for a long time. I used to drink alone often. There used to be a stigma attached to that. Drinking alone. But nowadays so many people are single, alone, that drinking alone has become the norm. It's ironic that now that I'm no longer alone, no longer single, now that I able drink wine with my husband, now I can't do it any more. Because I'm scared that maybe one day I won't be able to stop. And that's what Craig is scared of too.

If only I could permanently live in that alcoholic haze. That haze where nothing seems to matter. But I can't.

:::

It's 3.43 in the morning now. I'd better go to bed.



7 comments:

Craig said...

You forgot to mention that the reason I don't want to drink is that I can't stop either. I just want to drink and drink and drink until I can't feel anything any more. But I also know that is an illusion - that eventually the feelings and the pain will return.

You also forgot that I love you lots. :)

Kerry said...

Oh you two , the tears are falling again for you both, i know my love doesnt help much and im so sorry that you got stupid letters and your right they didnt think i didnt send you one because i thought and do think about you both and Freyja , Kees and Jet every day many times a day.

I expected him to live, i expected him to come home to oz and for me to hold him and kiss his beautiful cheeks and be a play mate for my tribe to grow up knowing how fun it is to have good friends .

The moment of that message my heart hurt so much i swear it stopped and i cried in the middle of a busy shop i cried and i havent stopped yet honey.

I know why drinking would bring a small amount of comfort to you both i do but i also know im here for you both , you both know that anytime im on the other end of the camera or phone or mail and im not going anywhere .

Hold on my beautful friends im holding you i havent let go and im still here walking with you and holding your hands as we stumble along this path , i will pick you up and i will cry with you for as long as you need not becasue i have to but becasue i miss him so much too.

Much love and hugs to you both today , tomorrow and always ....

Kerry
xxxxx

margaret said...

I too could easily succumb to alcohol. It runs in my family, I suppose that's why it scares me so. It is numbing, like a warm heavy blanket that makes you want to stay in it forever. Thank goodness we are aware of what we are capable of and takes steps to prevent full blown alcoholism. Thank goodness you have each other to look out for those sort of traps and habits we could all easily fall into in the aftermath of our children's deaths. I think of you often Mirne and Craig and although I know there won't be joy in your holidays this year, I hope you find some comfort in each other. Hugs

Akul's mama said...

I would be sooooo offended by anyone who even suggested that I was expecting my baby to die - who does that? Is that therapist crazy? Show me one woman who gets pregnant and thinks "my baby is going to die...I will not bring my baby home."

Lost Baby Moms who try again are just regular people who have the courage to dream when their world has fallen apart. I think it takes a lot of courage to try again after you lose a child and I know how very hard it is to do so for every LBM. I am so sorry you had to deal not only with other people's kids thrown in your face but also with that crazy therapist.

Craig, I am sure your comment will help Mirne to not drink herself numb. Love is what keeps us going. I am so glad you have each other, but I so wish you had your three beautiful children with you today. Wishing you peace. Hugsssss

Karen said...

Have thought of both you and Craig so many times through the last few days. So glad you have so much love for each other and hope you feel the love from us, too. xo

Suz said...

I expected him to be with you mirne and Craig, I expected to send you baby gifts and bear witness to your joy as Jet grew from baby to boy. I never expected this and there is a part of my brain that still won't register it. I just wish with all my heart that he was with you. I can't believe the thoughtless cruelty of those who would send you their Christmas newsletters...have never understood the point of them anyway. Please know that I think of you both every single day and wish u both love and some measure of peacexxxx

Catherine W said...

I expected Jet to live too. Like Suz, I was expecting to see photographs and send presents. I honestly did.

I could understand your terror and doubt in your pregnancy but, beneath it all, there was hope. Of course there was. As you say, nobody would ever enter into this without a glimmer of hope.

I also say I want to go home when I'm upset. Even when I am home. I think the home I'm trying to get to is somewhere far more elusive than my house. Perhaps it is childhood like you say?

I'm sorry about the newsletters. You're right. People don't think.

I drove past Stonehenge today. I thought of you and Craig and your visit there. I wish I could do something, anything. Freyja, Kees and Jet are not forgotten. I think of them often and that is all that I can do. xo

Post a Comment