Welcome to this blog. This blog is a place where we can express thoughts and feelings ... maybe to share them with other like-minded people. For those who are NOT like-minded (and we've seen a few comments), please will you just leave? Your lack of understanding of our situation in life is not welcome. Please take your words and go elsewhere. For those who may accidentally stumble across this blog AND who know us in real life, please contact us directly to see how we are doing. Do not rely on this blog to inform you. Thanks!

Saturday, January 2, 2010

4 months

Yesterday was four months since our sweet Jet died. Four months. Time flies. Yet I can close my eyes and remember those days like they happened yesterday.

Four months since I held my sweet Jet in my arms. Four months since I said goodbye to being the parent of a living child. Four months since I said goodbye to my children forever.

:::

As for the new year. Well it started with a bang. Literally.

In the Netherlands it is legal to buy and set off fireworks. We bought some ourselves. Only a few, because I think the amount of money which is spent on fireworks is *outrageous*.

This story states that this year in the Netherlands alone, people spent up to EUR 64 million on fireworks for new year's eve. And that's not the government, no, that's just the people.

And that's just in the Netherlands. Imagine the total INTERNATIONALLY. Bloody terrible.

What an enormous waste of money. Just think of all the research into SIDS/stillbirth which could be funded by such amounts of money ... it just makes me want to cry.

So I lay in my bed on Thursday evening and was woken by the fireworks. As you may know, we live in the centre of Amsterdam, and literally thousands of fireworks were exploding all around us. Debris from the fireworks was falling on our roof -- we could hear it clearly. And all I could think whilst this was happening was, what a shameful waste of money. Maybe my children would not have died if some of this money had been spent on research.

:::

In Australia recently, a young toddler died in a car crash. She was peacefully strapped in and sleeping in a car which was crashed into by some men who had just committed several armed robberies. This toddler died purely because her parents were driving their car in the wrong place at the wrong time. See this story. The story is entitled "Young Life Lost".

And of course it's terrible.

But what's even more terrible is that there are hundreds, thousands of babies dying all the time, lots of young lives lost, yet no-one sees their deaths. No-one but their parents and immediate family.

How come their tragic stories are not front page news?? How come?

Why isn't there more public awareness about their deaths???

Why isn't more being done to prevent these deaths?? Why isn't EVERYTHING being done to prevent their deaths???

:::

I guess I want to know why it's ok to spend millions and millions on something so wasteful and fleeting as *fireworks*.

And I want to know why it's front page news when *one* baby dies tragically in a car accident when thousands of babies are dying every year and NO-ONE is doing anything about it. People don't even know about it.

Why?


5 comments:

Kerry said...

Oh honey i just realised the photo of Freyja is beautiful , now im crying again :( you know im here anytime sweet just a call away . Much love to you both
xxxxx

Unknown said...

Just wanted to stop by and tell you I was thinking of you. I think about you and Craig and the babies a lot. I just wanted you to know that.

Karen said...

I just saw your photo of Freyja, too. She's gorgeous. I so agree about the lack of news about SIDS and stillbirth - ditto the money spent on ridiculous things (Olympics here - gaaaah) - rather than research. It feels almost like a conspiracy of silence around prenatal death and stillbirth. I am constantly telling people, no, really, we don't know *why* our baby died. He was healthy. We think cord compression.... Sigh. Love to you and Craig.

Suz said...

i ask myself these kinds of questions too Mirne....there are so many more worthwhile things the $ could be spent on.

Thankyou for sharing the photo of Freyja...she is so very beautiful. love to you, suz xxx

Akul's mama said...

I agree with you. There is too much wastage - all that money could be spent on more worthwhile things. Wish all our babies could be saved. I really do. All three babies look beautiful. It always saddens me to think they are not in your arms. Hugsssss.

Post a Comment