Welcome to this blog. This blog is a place where we can express thoughts and feelings ... maybe to share them with other like-minded people. For those who are NOT like-minded (and we've seen a few comments), please will you just leave? Your lack of understanding of our situation in life is not welcome. Please take your words and go elsewhere. For those who may accidentally stumble across this blog AND who know us in real life, please contact us directly to see how we are doing. Do not rely on this blog to inform you. Thanks!

Friday, March 26, 2010

Another visit to the doctor

We visited the GP this morning.

Our GP's office has a "walk-in hour" every morning where you don't need an appointment to see one of the GP's. I don't like going, because you never know who you will get. But this morning I had an ear-ache, which had been around for a few days, and as it's Friday, I thought I'd better go.

As luck would have it, we saw our old GP. You may recall a previous post I wrote about her. We haven't seen her since then. Since before Jet was born. We have seen one of her colleagues instead. But this morning, I had the bad luck to be called in by her.

She seemed quite surprised and shocked to see us (Craig was there to hold my hand, as he always is). So she pre-empted our meeting with the statement that she knows that the "one and other" has happened since our last meeting, but that she hasn't the time to go into any of that now because it's so very busy.

That. Was. It.

The "one and other" being of course the birth and death of our son Jet and the birth of her (living) child.

I responded quite calmly by saying that I had an ear-ache and I was concerned I might have an infection. And that was the only reason I was there. She seemed surprised again, but recovered nicely by getting the equipment necessary to investigate the mysterious depths of my ears.

She gave me a prescription for some antibiotics and our meeting ended.

DO. YOU. BELIEVE. IT??

All she had to do was say how sorry she was to hear about Jet's death. That's all. I don't really expect people to understand any more. Although she was our GP from June 2007 until August 2009. She looked after me before, during and after my pregnancy with Kees, and his subsequent death. She looked after me before and during my pregnancy with Jet. She saw us at least once a month for over two years. You'd think she would have some understanding. But apparently not.

I will ensure that when I go back to the GP's office in future, I shall specify that I do not want to see her.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the same one who called you at home and told she was "dissatisfied with how your visit went" when you asked that she recognize that your pregnancy with Jet was a little nerve-wrecking, correct? So she basically said she didn't have the time to offer condolences on the loss of your third child? She sounds like she has a terrible bedside manner and you don't need that. She should have, at the very least, asked after your emotional well-being. I'm so sorry. I'm outraged at her behavior. Can you speak with the head of the practice? Hugs.

Catherine W said...

I'm so sorry Mirne and Craig. This particular doctor is absolutely beyond belief. 'One and other'?! I do wonder why some people enter the 'caring' professions.

As MK says, can you speak with the head of the practice. Or, at the least, specify that you do not want to see this particular doctor again? Love to you both. xo

Suz said...

i'm sorry you had to go through this Mirne. She sounds awful. thinking of you both xx (and i hope your ear is better too)

forward tumble said...

Oh I love the fact your blog is password protected because I'm gonna say it:

--- no I won't I won't cuss on your blog. It's not such a cool thing to do.

She's not worth mentioning, talking to, talking about even -!- anything like that. There is just one thing I can say to you, hold you head up proud and walk away. You went in, you got your ear looked after and you you walked out. Mission accomplished. I'm so proud of you.

I've learnt in my dealings with doctors in the last 21 months, there are a surprisingly and proportionally large number of rubbish doctors out there. It's quite shocking really when you meet one face to face. But I get a kick out of seeing one, meeting one, and getting what you want from them and knowing better! And walking away. I look at those people and see them poor and ignorant and bland and pale. And I'm wondering, is it possible this particular woman might feel the same about herself-deep down inside?

Love to you and Craig.
Hope the ear is better, too.

xxx Ines

Post a Comment