It occurred to me that maybe noone wants to read about it any more.
Perhaps people only want to hear or read when there is hope, when there is the possibility of a happy ending. And that's not really possible for me any more.
I don't get many comments any more on this blog. Of course, it's private - and that's probably the main reason. But I'm sure there are other reasons. And the unhappy ending must be one of them.
Noone wants to read about the sadness and pain I feel every day, when they all know that there is no other baby coming to heal that sadness and pain.
People in real life don't want to talk about my babies. Or their birthdays or their angelversaries.
I spoke to my sister on the telephone a few days ago and we were talking about another lady who lost three children. My sister said (about this woman), "the poor woman". I felt like screaming, 'THAT'S ME!!!", but I didn't.
:::
I finished reading a lovely book a few days ago. Quite an achievement for me, because I find it very difficult to focus on anything or to concentrate on anything for any period longer than 10 minutes.
The book is: The Guern.sey Literary and Po.tato Peel Pie Society.
I recommend this book if you have the same problems as me regarding lack of focus or concentration. In addition, it's simply a delightful book.
Interestingly there were a couple of paragraphs in the book which I felt touched my life very aptly.
The author writes about one of the characters in her novel who survived being held in a WWII concentration camp, and how, on return to her hometown in France, others simply wanted to put everything behind them. The hardship of those war years, the terror they experienced, all of it. Yet the author noted that for the concentration camp survivor that would be impossible to do. Because she lived it. It had become part of who she was. It formed her. It made her. She couldn't pretend it didn't happen. Because it did. That applies to me and my babies too.
I've been through my own hell over the last four years and survived. But I'm different. Those four years of hell formed me. They changed me. They made me what I am. I can't pretend it didn't happen.
At another point, one of the characters gets married. She's 32 and her marriage catches her unawares. She's very excited and wanting to begin this new chapter of her life. She views it as the "beginning".
I used to think that too. I entered married life with an overwhelming excitement. I had no idea what life held for Craig and I, yet I was enormously excited about it. I was sure it could only be GREAT.
Little did I know.
:::
Craig and I are coming up to our fourth wedding anniversary this week. Four years. It seems like yesterday. Yet so much has happened. So incredibly much.
I've been pregnant three times and had three babies. I have buried three babies. A beautiful daughter and two gorgeous sons. Yet Craig and I survived.
We've travelled to so many places -- many travels came about as a result of our losses.
After Freyja died in July 2006, we went to the USA at the beginning of September 2006 and didn't return to Australia until mid-January 2007. Craig got shingles at the tail end of that trip when we were in the Netherlands, so had to fly back with full-blown shingles on his face.
After Kees died in March 2008, we went to Australia to bury him next to his sister. Then we went to France for five weeks in April/May 2008. A beautiful trip with many beautiful memories.
And then of course last year. Our beautiful Jethro, our baby who I was convinced would live. We went to Germany, Denmark, Norway and Sweden -- but only for two weeks. It was too soon after his death. I just wanted to be at home and hide under my blankets in bed.
And in between of course. Ten days in Egypt. Three weeks in Italy. A couple of weeks in the USA. A few short trips to Germany, England, Belgium and France.
We bought some land. We did that after Kees died. In 2008. I suddenly felt the need to find a place where we could eventually put down roots. A place where I had hoped to bring a living rainbow baby to -- that would have been Jet. But that wasn't to be.
We still have the land, and we're hoping to build our home there one day.
Lots of travelling and three dead babies and some land and a beautiful husband. That's four years of marriage.
:::
I received an email a few weeks ago. From an old friend. She's married with four boys.
She'd been on holidays for a number of weeks to visit her family in Perth. She came back and sent me an email saying how "blessed" they'd been.
I can't stand that.
I absolutely loathe it when people say how "blessed" they are. People even say it to me. How "blessed" I am that I have Craig. That we love each other so much. How "blessed" we were that we had our beautiful babies.
And I just want to SCREAM.
Do I really consider the birth of my beautiful babies a BLESSING???? Of course not. Of course not. I'd sooner believe that we've been cursed.
I'm supposed to believe that I'm blessed because I have a house, a loving husband. I'm supposedly blessed because others don't have that??
What are people talking about?
I HAVE THREE DEAD CHILDREN. Where's the blessing in that???
It's like people who have a sick child or spouse and who pray asking for healing. Then when they are healed, they say that "God answered their prayers" and that they have been "blessed".
But what does that mean for all those people who pray for healing, but don't get it? Did God not answer their prayers? Or was his answer "bad luck, no time for this one, it's his fate". Are they not blessed??
So I told my friend that. I told her that I never want to hear about her being "blessed" again, because it only makes me feel cursed.
I know that I'm not blessed, but there's no need to rub my nose in it.
:::
When I die, noone is going to say at my funeral that I lived a full and happy life. Noone will say that. Because I will not have lived a full and happy life. No matter what I do.
There will always be an emptiness in my life. A huge, gaping hole. A hole so big, people could fall in and disappear forever. Despite the laughter, despite the smiles, despite the love. The emptiness will never be filled.
And that emptiness will stop me from living a full and happy life. (Whatever that is ...)
Because I will never see my children grow up. I will never be able to parent them. I will never hear them laugh. Or speak. Or watch them grow. Or take them swimming. Or do any of those other things that other parents take so much for granted.
Craig and I will never even have the opportunity to become grandparents. Never.
They're more likely to say that I was a "strong" person.
That I was a "survivor".
That I was "loyal".
That I loved my husband more than anything in the entire world.
That I missed and loved my children always.




7 comments:
Mirne. Im sorry I dont comment often, But I do think about you and your family and come and read how you are. Im so sorry for everything that has happened in your life over the last few years - yes you have Craig, a house etc - but none of that makes up for the death of your three beutiful children. Our hearts will always have some parts missing and nothing will ever close up these holes - I hope you and Craig have a gentle anniversary this week.
Kathi
I don't know about the blog commenting issue but do I know that I can't seem to make private blogs 'go through' my reader. So I don't get notified when there is a new post and I have to rely on my own brain to remember to check. Which is a risky strategy as my brain doesn't really work any more.
I know that I can never understand Mirne. I sometimes don't want to comment because I imagine my words will just be an irritant to you and you will end up thinking to yourself 'oh Catherine W what would you know you stupid woman?!' I'm sure I say stupid things from time to time but please know that my heart is in the right place.
I've been pondering that middle paragraph. It also drives me a bit to distraction, that phrase. I prayed for both my daughters but somehow my prayers were only enough for one?
I know that there will always be an emptiness in your life where Freyja, Kees and Jet should be. Nothing can fix that, there is no going back. I'm so sorry that the positivity you had when you set out on your married life with Craig has been bruised and broken.
Strangely enough I bought the Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society just last week so I was pleased to read your recommendation. I also struggle with my concentration span but this sounds like it will suit me well.
And Mirne I know how much you love Craig, Freyja, Kees and Jet. I know it through every single word you write, you are a loving wife and a loving mother. It is beyond cruel that your three precious children are not here to experience that love in person.
Wishing you and Craig a peaceful fourth wedding anniversary.
Ach what a monstrous comment. Sorry. xo
Honey you know i read and although i dont always reply here i do im my mails you know im here and i havent gone anywhere not yet not ever , much love and many hugs to you and Craig , Freyja , Kees and Jet will always be a part of you and a part of me too XXX
hey Mirne
I have the same problem with the rss reader not updating your site...
But i care and I know the word never from both sides.
This morning I said goodbye to ever having another child. My life is shit, too. I only lost one child, but since Fionn died ... I just deleted what I was about to say, because I don't want to discuss my issues on the net, but trust me, this is serious crap. Everyone pities me endlessly and I don't give a rats arse for pity. I just want to say, fuck off, God or however is in charge of blessing. Just fuck off.
I read, and I care and I wish and hope for the return of meaning and happiness. Because i can't think of anything else to do. Living, it's a default setting for us, why not for our children?? No answer for that one.
love and a big hug
xxx Ines
I'm glad you invited me into your world again. I think about you often, wondering where you are in this agonizing journey.
I will read, even if your words are filled only with pain. Maybe your words will one day have a glimmer of something other than pain... or not... your words are your words, your story, and I will read. Sending my love and support.
I read and I care. And most of the time I think that nothing I could possibly say could have any sort of meaning to you. But like Amy said, these words are your story. And we're here-even if we don't comment all the time.
Many hugs.
I'm always here Mirne and like some of the other commenters i fear that things i say in a comment will offer nothing or worse, be upsetting for you. Please know that you are in my thoughts all the time and i will keep reading because i care about you xx
Post a Comment