Welcome to this blog. This blog is a place where we can express thoughts and feelings ... maybe to share them with other like-minded people. For those who are NOT like-minded (and we've seen a few comments), please will you just leave? Your lack of understanding of our situation in life is not welcome. Please take your words and go elsewhere. For those who may accidentally stumble across this blog AND who know us in real life, please contact us directly to see how we are doing. Do not rely on this blog to inform you. Thanks!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Missing Kees


I'm missing Kees today. I mean, I miss him every day, but today I miss him more.

When I walk through our hall, I see his photos hanging on the wall, and I touch them, and I miss him.

Maybe it's because this time, these days, these hours before his brother will be born, remind me so very much of those hours before Kees was born. Those hours, those days when we worried. So much.

We wondered what he would look like. Who he would look like. Whether he would be healthy. What colour his eyes would be. What colour his hair would be. Whether he would look like Freyja.

Craig worried that maybe our baby boy wouldn't be gorgeous. He worried that maybe he wouldn't be beautiful. I wasn't worried. I'd already seen Freyja and I knew she was gorgeous. My two sisters between them had produced 6 children, all of whom were beautiful.

And I was right. See for yourself just how beautiful our boy is/was.

He was just getting the hang of sucking his thumb, was our Kees. He liked his dummy/pacifier but he really preferred his thumb. But new babies, they're not very coordinated. So he spent the first few weeks stabbing himself with his fingers and his thumb in the face, in his eyes, in his nose, nearly everywhere but his mouth. But he was learning. There were some successes.

I took these photos on March 8th 2008. Kees' heart stopped whilst he was lying on the sofa at home on March 19th. He was revived, but was pronounced brain dead and removed from the ventilator on March 21st.

Our beautiful, beautiful boy.

No matter how beautiful or special his brother will be, I will always miss my gorgeous son Kees. I could shed thousands, millions of tears for him, and it would never be enough. I will miss him forever.





31 comments:

Bluebird said...

So very handsome. How I wish he was there to greet his new little brother. You've been on my mind extra, as your time to meet him draws near . . .

((Hugs))

Anonymous said...

He's so handsome. I'm missing him with you. xo

Lea said...

Kees is so absolutely gorgeous. My heart aches for you. There are so many emotions....

Thinking of you all, especially in the weeks to come.

erica said...

He's so beautiful, Mirne. I wish he was still with you.

Catherine W said...

You were right. Kees is beautiful Mirne. What a handsome little boy. Craig's fears about a possible lack of gorgeousness were certainly ill-founded.

I had to smile at the picture of him stabbing himself in the face and in the nose trying to find his mouth.

It is so terribly, terribly sad Mirne. Just so mind blowingly sad. Sometimes I feel that there just aren't enough tears in the world.

Thinking of you. xx

Debby@Just Breathe said...

You son is beautiful. I'm so sorry. You will forever and always love him. I am excited to see you new little boy. Send us lots of pictures.

Carly Marie said...

Love to you Mirne. You will love him forever x

Juliet said...

Kees is indeed beautiful. So very gorgeous. I wish he was there with you. Thinking of you as you get ready go meet Kees' little brother.

Claudia said...

what a beautiful little one. Thanks for posting those photos. The love to our children will never leave, and so will the sorrow because we lost them. Thinking of you every day and wishing you the best for the upcoming l&d. But most of all I wish that the feelings will be so overwhelming in a positive way, that it will leave the fear behind.

Claudia, with Mia in my heart-always.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing him with us....he is so adorable. And he will always have his own place in your family; nobody gets to replace that. I wish you peace my friend.

still life angie said...

Kees is so gorgeous, Mirne. Just so beautiful. Thinking of you a ton these days, and sending you much love.

Amy said...

Kees is such a handsome boy. I love the photo of him sucking on his thumb. I wish he were with you.

on a side note I nominated you for the honest scrap award!

Lots of love and ((((hugs)))))

Anonymous said...

Oh Mirne, he's just so lovely; so beautiful. Thank you for sharing these photos. xxx

Tash said...

He is absolutely beautiful. I hate these perfect baby pictures that attach to such sad stories. Thinking of you both today.

Donna said...

He looks so peaceful sucking his thumb.

Karen said...

Oh, Mirne. Kees is such a lovely boy. What a handsome lad! I'm glad you posted those photos of him. He looks so peaceful and content sucking away on his little hand. I wish he was here with you still. Great big (((hug))).

Fireflyforever said...

He is beautiful. I wanted to reach into the computer and stroke his lovely, squishy cheeks. I wish he was with you as you prepare for his brother.

Mackenzie's Mommy said...

He definitely is so handsome!!! I was just telling my best friend about your story last night and we both agree that you are one of the strongest people we "know." I pray that your new baby brings you a lifetime of joy! Thinking of all three of your precious children <3
xo
Ashley

Isla's Mommy said...

Such a beautiful baby. It's so unfair that his precious life was cut short.

When I open your blog, I usually take my cursor I swirl it around over the picture of Kees on the side bar. My little hello to him. I don't do this often to other pictures, but for some reason I do it all the time to Kees.

Thinking of you today baby boy and praying for your little brother's safe delivery.

It's one day closer to Friday!!

Hope's Mama said...

Just so many levels of wrong he's not here and that this is your life now. I'm so sorry.
It is Thursday here now. Wishing Friday would hurry up in your part of the world.
xo

Lindsay said...

Mirne, he was so beautiful. So So beautiful. I never saw Zoe healthy and I think it was easier in a way. I'm so sorry you had to have a healthy bouncing baby, just pass away...twice. It's more than anyone should have to bear and you are so brave for having hope again.
I hope you are on the verge of some sunshine and a healthy little one in tow. No one deserves it more than you two.
So much love,
Lindsay

Tina said...

He is so beautiful. I love the pictures of him. Thank you for sharing him with us. xx

CLC said...

He's gorgeous. I am so very sorry that he's not here with you anymore. I am anxiously awaiting the birth of his little brother.

Sophie said...

Yep. A million tears wouldn't do it.

He is one gorgeous looking little man. Just perfect.

xx

Once A Mother said...

your kees was just precious. I am so sorry that he is not home in your arms with you, awaiting the birth of his brother. sending you prayers for peace

Jaime said...

Oh Mirne, Kees was such a gorgeous little guy. Thinking of you as you come closer to meeting Freyja and Kees' baby brother.

Funsize said...

You and Craig make pretty babies.
Sometimes, before I got pregnant with my son, I would see certain babies and not think they were pretty. I mean, all babies are cute, but some weren't pretty. And I thought because I thought those things, I wouldn't make pretty babies. But when I saw my son, my god I was (still am) so vain to think he was absolutely gorgeous. He would have been a lady killer, as your Kees would have too. And I'm sure all the boys would have wanted to take Freyja out on dates, Craig would have to beat them off with a stick.

I think it's so sad, that we don't get to watch our babies grow into pretty (but humble) people. I know your boy will be just as beautiful as his big brother.

xoxo

Akul's mama said...

He is so so beautiful ...and today I too am missing Akul so very much...SOme days are so much harder....Praying for Friday to bring you a life time of love and happiness.

SirRabbit said...

Mirne - he is gorgeous, absolutely beautiful..so very sad he is not here..I love him sucking his thumb..
thinking of you for tom..wishing you the best of good luck vibes..Louxx

Anonymous said...

This post got me tears. He is such a gorgeous baby, with his little hand on his little ear, sleeping so cozily. I loved this picture.

Kristy said...

Kees is GORGOUS. It brings a tear to my eyes, to see just how beautiful he was. He was SO lucky to have you and Craig and parents in life...he IS so lucky to have you and Craig as parents for life. What a very lucky little boy.

Beautiful...

Post a Comment