
The smallest things cause me huge amounts of stress these days.
Some of you may recall that we've had a leak in our apartment (see my post here). Well, we had a temporary fix done in May, and (until today) we had no further problems.
But today it rained. Quite heavily. And our leak returned. It moved about 1 metre to the right in our ceiling, but it's back.
Back in May we had agreed with our co-operative owners that we would get a temporary fix and also obtain some quotes for a roof replacement. But we'd heard nothing of the progress. So Craig rang our fix-it man today to find out what was happening. I won't go into all the details, but suffice to say that nothing is happening.
You may have heard that the Dutch are notoriously tight with their money. Stingy. Penny-pinchers. You get the idea. Well one of our apartment building's co-owners acts as chair-person of our little co-owner group, and he sometimes takes it upon himself to "save money". He is the stereo-typical Dutch tight-arse. It appears that he feels that getting (i) a quote and (ii) a roof replacement, will be too expensive so he's apparently decided to not go ahead with either. Without consultation with any of the other three co-owners. Right. (By the way, I am Dutch, as well as Australian, and I've grown up with stereo-typical Dutch tight-arses, so I can say these things without meaning to cause offense. It's just the way it is.)
So we're staring right at autumn and winter with a (once-again) leaking roof.
I'm a bit over it. Actually, I'm a lot over it.
I feel like I'm walking a tight-rope at the moment. Every little thing which is out of the ordinary stresses me out. Every. Little. Thing.
For the last few days I've had a recurring head-ache and I swear it's stress related. It first appeared when we went to the hospital very late on Saturday evening because I was concerned about some fluid loss. Then it returned the next day when I had more fluid loss so went back to the hospital. Yesterday it came for no apparent reason, and this morning it came back again. (By the way, the fluid loss appeared to be nothing more than a pea-sized bladder over which I have zero control any more. Perhaps because there is an enormous head constantly pushing into it.)
I can't cope with anything out of the ordinary. I can't answer the telephone. I can't answer the door. Email is about the only form of communication which works for me at the moment because there's no pressure, no confrontation, no requirement for an immediate response.
My life is a bit like walking a tight-rope at the moment. Everything is so finely balanced, that it doesn't take much to make me a bit wobbly. Or much to make me fall. And if I didn't have security of knowing that Craig was there to hold on to me or to catch me if I fall, I think I'd go mad. Completely.
And now I worry about our roof. That our bloody roof will topple me.
I will want to go back to Australia at some stage, and that might be sooner than we think. And I can't sell this bloody apartment when it has a bloody leaking roof!! You should see the ceiling in our lounge room -- about two square metres of yellow marked ceiling and wall where the water has left stains.
I really don't need this right now. Living in an apartment sucks. I've done it now for about 10 years (in Australia and here in Amsterdam) and I'm over it. I want my own house with my own walls and my own roof and my own property. I want to be able to make my own decisions about what I want to do and when I want to do it. At least then the stress is about something that (hopefully) I can control.
Today is Tuesday. Bring on Friday. Please. I want to get off this tight-rope.





20 comments:
I wish you did live here, so it would be that bit closer to Friday! You're just hours away now Mirne. So many are cheering you along xo
Mirne, you are the bravest, strongest person I know.
About a week after my daughter Isla's birth and death, I began searching the internet for blogs of parents with stories similar to ours, mostly just trying to find more information about possible causes for Isla's death. At the time I never thought I would start blogging or enter into this whole babyloss mamma blog world. I was just frantically skimming blogs for information and not leaving comments behind. But when I came across your blog, I stopped and read the story of Freyja and Kees and immediately thought that both you and Craig were SO incredibly brave and strong for getting pregnant again, and I've been wanting to tell you that since. I truly admire you both.
I hope you take time to praise yourselves for having the strength to survive all you have endured, the courage it takes to make another baby, and for never losing hope!
Tick, tock. Hurry up Friday!!
FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY!!! Sorry for shouting, I'm just bursting with hope and love and luck for you.
xxx
Bring on Friday...I am waiting for Friday for you too Mirne and Craig...
Friday will be here before you know it. 3 more sleeps, THREE more sleeps. When you are holding your baby boy safely in your arms, I hope that so much of this stress can fall off your back. I know it will introduce a whole new level of worry for you, but I hope once you are able to lay eyes on your little miracle you can feel some sense of peace.
You are much stronger then you think. Look at everything you have gone through, and how far you have come.
Counting down the days with you!
Sending you so much love and warm wishes for the clock to move quickly!
Just hugs Mirne x
One day at a time...and soon enough Friday will be here.
Oh Mirne. You and Craig are amazing. I am sorry these last few days have had added stress beyond that of your pregnancy.
I'm so looking forward to Friday for you.
Mirne, you're so (rightly so) full of anxiety right now it's no wonder that any little thing is pushing you over. I'm so sorry you are overwhelmed. I wish there was more that I could do than sit here at my computer thousands of kilometres away and send you positive thoughts. But know that every day till your arms are full of that baby instead of these stresses I'm thinking of you and praying for your happiness.
This baby is a champion. This baby will make it. Praying for you, cheering you and cheering the little champion baby.
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. Again. We had a horrendous time with a leaking roof this past year, too - super stressful and led to us leaving our apartment & to our landlord hating us.
And it's kind of cutthroat, but is there any way to find the source of the leak in the roof and use a piece of rope or something to wick it over to one of the co-owners' sides? Maybe they'd do something if *they* were the ones threatened with the ceiling fallin in...
just trying to hold the rope steady for you.
Thinking of you.
Oh, just think, if the roof doesn't get fixed, then there could be mold damage, making you and your family sick. Maybe then you could sue them for the co-owner's neglect over the property? Maybe that's something that you could just throw out there, that a lawsuit is much more expensive than to fix a roof. That's the route I would go at least.
Friday is sooo close. I'm cheering for you.
keep breathing mirne. you are so close!!!
xo
Mirne and Craig,
Wishing for nothing but the best for you-for a smooth delivery on Friday, for a healthy baby boy that well outlives you and Craig, for the ability to be happier and less anxious, to enjoy your son's life for the rest of yours... From reading your blog I can tell you are both strong, caring, intelligent, compassionate, (the list of good adjectives goes on and on) people who truly deserve happiness in life, any and all that you can obtain. F anyone who tries to stand in your way (this includes your landlords/co-op people who won't work w/you to get the roof fixed and stupid trolls and anything else that causes you unneeded stress/worry). Sending love and good vibes to you from over the sea...
-Kristina
We all have Friday on our minds for you Mirne....not long now. Just sending you lots of hugs and support from Australia. Suz xxxx
Ah Friday? You are so close Mirne, so close!!!
I dunno... Having an irate, extremely upset and heavily pregnant woman do their block at you might get a 'tight-ass' motivated into action...
Thinking of you and watching the clock...
I am so sorry you are feeling so much stress. I wish I could wave a magic wand and have your roof fixed, your stress relieved, and it be Friday with your beautiful baby in your arms. Hugs to you!
Post a Comment