Welcome to this blog. This blog is a place where we can express thoughts and feelings ... maybe to share them with other like-minded people. For those who are NOT like-minded (and we've seen a few comments), please will you just leave? Your lack of understanding of our situation in life is not welcome. Please take your words and go elsewhere. For those who may accidentally stumble across this blog AND who know us in real life, please contact us directly to see how we are doing. Do not rely on this blog to inform you. Thanks!

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Long and empty


We have to fill in a form which we received from the crematorium. A form in which we will instruct the crematorium what we want done with our son's ashes. We want to keep them of course, until we go back to Australia. Then we will bury them with Freyja and Kees. But they need to know that now - that Jet's ashes will go back to Australia - because they will need to seal Jet's ashes in a special container. And provide us with the appropriate paperwork.

What a thing to have to organise. Of course, we've organised two other funerals, so we do have some experience.

But still.

:::

We need to pick up a plaster cast of Jet's feet from our local framing shop.

Our nurse at the hospital where Jet was born - she took the plaster cast. She'd never done it before, so it's not perfect, but it is a cast of our son's feet.

I'm a bit worried about it. The cast that is. The plaster wasn't great - not good quality. It's entirely possible that the cast disintegrated when they tried to frame it.

I've been putting off collecting it.

But I can't put it off forever.

:::

I spend my days sitting around. I have nothing to do. Except think about death and babies. And remember those awful events - those discovering dead baby moments.

I have no idea what I will do today. Or tomorrow. Or next week. Or next month. Or next year. I have no idea.

There is nothing to do. I honestly can't think of what I could possibly do. I'm really not capable of working ... of doing my old job. My mind isn't capable of that at the moment, and (if I'm really honest) my mind hasn't been capable of doing my old job since Kees died.

I've suffered so much grief and pain and trauma, and my mind is so busy protecting itself, that there's not a whole lot left to work with. And certainly not enough to actually do my old job.

So every day I think, "what will I do today?"

And I never know.

I never have an answer.

I simply don't know.

Life looks long and empty from here.


5 comments:

Claudia said...

I went back to work round about 10 weeks after Mia died, simply because I was scared there could be no sense in getting up in the morning anymore. I was scared. I couldn`t work really, I was just sitting there staring out of the window. For hours. It took really long to get back to the point where I could concentrate for just minutes. Sometimes I had a hard time with my collegues and their way of "life goes on". In the end, they just tried; but I just couldn`t stand it.

Now, 18 months later, I work fulltime again. It is hard, harder than before Mia arrived, but on the other hand it helps.

Just thought I`d let you know. Maybe something where you just hang in your thoughts would be nice to do for you right now...like painting or something creative...have you thought of that? It gives you something for the day.

xo,
Claudia

Catherine W said...

I hope that the plaster cast of Jet's feet hasn't been damaged.

My heart goes out to you Mirne. I just don't know. You must be using everything you've got at the moment just to protect yourself. Of course there will be nothing left for work.

I ended up doing lots of trivial distractions to while away the time. Crosswords. Sudoku. Cross stitch. Bad novels. Bad films.

Thinking of you. xo

Karen said...

I'm working again but only because I feel pushed into it by my well-meaning husband and our, um, need for some extra $$. But I got a curt email from an editor today because I'm just not filing things quickly enough. So I really, really, really feel for you because I think you've had this brutal shock times three and I simply cannot imagine. I agree with Catherine that you've got to focus on protecting yourself and that's going to take so much energy.

I escape with books and films and TV series on DVD. If you haven't seen Weeds yet, it's edgy and ends with cliff-hangers each episode. We watched the first two seasons before George was born. When he was stillborn, my husband went out and got the next few seasons and that got us through the first week home without our boy. But warning that this latest season - airing now - does have a pregnancy. When I miscarried it was the Aussie series Summer Heights High that we watched, loaned by a good friend living over here from Melbourne. And The Office, both the American and Brit versions. And I love Waking Ned Devine - that movie I could watch over and over. And I have. We watch comedians like Billy Connolly and Canadian comics like Ron James. Anything to divert our minds for a little bit from the obvious.

I really hope Jet's feet casts are okay. Thinking of you - just fighting a bad cold and only online in fits and spurts. Think of you even if I'm not online. xo

Lea said...

Mirne - I hear your pain... your emptiness. I'm glad that you have Jet's foot imprints. I'm sure they will be just fine.

Love to you

Akul's mama said...

I agree with you Mirne. Life is so empty without our babies. Since I am not thinking about having a baby at the moment my life seems pretty empty too. I do not know how much hope I have of getting pregnant and giving birth to a live baby. My husband can just sit endlessly, locked in a room with his computer, so being around him doesn't help me much either. When we first lost Akul, every night we would pray and then do every crossword puzzle we could lay our hands on. My husband even got hooked to literati, a yahoo word game. I stayed home for 6 very long weeks and then went back to work. I don't know how I did it, but I pushed myself to have a routine of sorts. That helped me. Like all of you, I still grieve a lot. we have joined a local support group, "empty cradles" and I just started volunteering for them. I feel safe in this group. I know I can cry when I want and talk about my dead child to my heart's content. I know no one will judge me and I will always find someone to shed a tear with me. I also spend a few hours every day on the blogs I read. Even if I do not post on my own blog, I see Akul in all the lost babies and myself in all the lost baby moms. Hugssss Mirne.

Post a Comment