
I got a phone call from my GP yesterday afternoon. She was ringing to let me know the results of some blood tests I had done earlier this week. Fortunately it was all good news.
However, she also wanted to clear something else that was on her mind.
Craig and I see her together every month and have done so since Kees died last year in March. Every month like clockwork, a half-hour appointment. Our most recent appointment was last Friday.
We had seen our obstetrician the day before our GP appointment with the usual results. Everything looks fine. Oh, you have some pains? That's normal. That's what they say about everything. The stock-standard answer is either (i) every pregnancy is different or (ii) that's normal.
So when I saw my GP I expressed my dissatisfaction about the stock-standard answers. I also expressed my opinion about my general dissatisfaction with the Dutch medical system. I was also pretty peeved with her (my GP) that we had to wait for 30 minutes for our appointment. Anyway, appointment finished, and that was that (I thought).
So when I spoke to her yesterday she wanted to let me know that she was "unhappy" about the way our last appointment went. That she doesn't like going home feeling "unhappy" about her work. That she didn't like leaving it like that. That she doesn't like to take bad feelings home with her. And more along the same lines.
I was quite stunned. I didn't know what to say. I mean, how she feels is really not my problem. She's my GP. It's her job to listen to my concerns about my health and my baby's health. She knows my history. She's been treating me for over two years. She's spoken to my psychologist about me.
At first my response was nothing. Then, as she was clearly waiting for me to say something, I asked what she wanted from me. So she started again about feeling that she's doing her job properly but that I was obviously unhappy, so that meant she had bad feelings at the end of the day. And that perhaps we should see someone else. And that we were quite unreasonable to expect her to be more on time. (We were her last patients of the day, there was no-one else in the waiting-room.) She feels that she's been more than generous with her time (we always book double appointments and never go over our time.) So we should feel free to go somewhere else if we feel the need to.
Well, I never felt the need to until I had this conversation with her. So after my silent response didn't work and my stunned response didn't work, I went for the direct response. I said that I'd never had such an unprofessional discussion with any doctor in my life. I said that I thought it was part of her job to listen to my health-care/medical concerns. I also said that really it would certainly be better for me and Craig to see another doctor. I thanked her for calling and hung up.
Do you believe it????
For over two years I've been her patient. She treated me for depression and anxiety prior to my pregnancy with Kees, as well as after. She's prescribed anti-D's and other medication. She knows my history. And yet she feels that she's within her rights to ring me at home and tell me that I'm making her job miserable and she can't leave her job at the office but takes it home with her. (I told her that I'd learned to leave my job at the office a long time ago, as most professionals do.)
I know that GP's in this country are generally SHITE. If you can find any GP who is a hands-on medical professional you're doing pretty well. Our GP's practice is a good one. They even take blood samples, urine samples, remove moles (and the like) and generally do stuff that NO GP's in this country do.
But what am I supposed to do when she rings me at home to tell me that our appointments make her miserable? That she feels like we are being unreasonable? That we are making her feel unhappy when she goes home at the end of the day??? What???
I think I will walk away from this one. There's nothing I can say or do that I will be happy to live with. I'm still in shock at having such a personal and unprofessional conversation with my GP.




15 comments:
That is horrible and horrifying. What a jerk. I mean, she knows what you have been through, and somehow made it about her? How insane. I'm so sorry you went through this. It is ridiculous. Now you have to find a new doctor? You should write a letter to her, and copy the ethics board.
Sorry you have to go through this, Mirne. It is just not fair.
farck, you're kidding? No, I know you're not. But geesh. Where, oh where, do these GP's get off. You know I've had my own GP issues that has also left me without the support I require. How are we supposed to sum up what feels like a lifetime of hurt, sorrow, despair?
I'm sorry you got this shite, Mirne. And I'm sorry it arrived right now at this time xxxxx
This is an INCREDIBLE story. How awful. I'm so, so sorry that you have to deal with this idiocy. How can this doctor think that it's appropriate, knowing your history, to put you in this position when you are 34 weeks pregnant? Appalling.
My gawd, I am stunned Mirne. I wish I could clone my family GP and my OB's (regular and high risk) and send them along to you. There aren't enough caring, compassionate and professional Dr's in this world. I hope you find the right Dr for you and your family.
PS...Great belly pic! You look great!
This is just bizarre. I can't wrap my head around it. Completely unprofessional.
I'm with everyone else here. This is a joke. Just shaking my head at it all.
WTF - you really need this kind of behaviour right at the last hurdle to get to the finish line, part of a GP's role is to listen, empathsise, understand and given the situation that you have been through with Freyja and Kees she ought to have much more understanding and discretion...she is acting like a 15 year old in my books...next she will be saying to someone that has a life threatening illness " I don't like the emotional trauma this is putting me through" Feedback is such an important part of medical care, are we supposed to skip through the tulips and not give any feedback, that would be wrong, patients have a right to say how they are feeling and how much their medical care has impacted on them for good or for bad...I am in shock Mirne, is it the Ostrich head in the Sand system over there...
Ps like the pg belly shot and I also like the cuckoo clock on the wall ;)
That really is unbelievably unprofessional. I would be shocked too. She was out of line.
You're dealing with multiple losses and a pregnancy that is very understandably scary for you, and *she's* unhappy? And she's laying all of this on you at 34 weeks? I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, especially right now, especially from someone you know and had a relationship with. What a nightmare.
I cannot believe that she treated you like that! You're so close to delivery, and she decides this now? And calls you at home?
It seemed as if maybe she has her own issues or maybe she's nuts.
Yo shouldn't have to go through this now..damn, I'm sorry Mirne
Love Lindsay
Here, in the US, we can complain to people higher up. I don't think it really does much except go into that doctor's records, and after so many complaints they may do something. I would complain to anyone in charge of her office/practice, or even your insurance. Who knows, maybe she's said the same thing to other patients and they left. Maybe they complained too. In any case, at least she won't be receiving any hard earned money from you, or your insurance anymore. The nerve of some people, sheesh.
Unbelievable. And do to this right now. So sorry, Mirne. xo
Sadly I am not shocked at your doctors behaviour.
As others have said, this is her issue and not about you. That said it is so very incredibly unprofessional of her to cause you such stress. I have stayed with doctors who did the equivalent to me because I see no point in going elsewhere. Doctors want to be able to fix everything and if they can't they feel badly about themselves.
I am so sorry she brought her personal issues on you.
I can't get my mouth to close! Absolutely galling.
I'm amazed at how you handled that call. I would have immediately started apologizing and then hated myself later.
Jaysus. The string that the medical system here pulls in my head leads to very, very nasty things coming out. Sweet lord.
We found a doctor that we liked for the ob/gyn part. He's German... was very understanding and kind. No offense to the German people - but what does that say about the bedside manner here, when a German is considered more compassionate?!?
Yeesh. I'm gonna have nightmares about this. Well done to you for not backing down but leaving instead.
Post a Comment