Welcome to this blog. This blog is a place where we can express thoughts and feelings ... maybe to share them with other like-minded people. For those who are NOT like-minded (and we've seen a few comments), please will you just leave? Your lack of understanding of our situation in life is not welcome. Please take your words and go elsewhere. For those who may accidentally stumble across this blog AND who know us in real life, please contact us directly to see how we are doing. Do not rely on this blog to inform you. Thanks!

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Aw.ay We Go (by Craig)

We went to the movies yesterday. It was Mirne's birthday, so her choice. Today it is my birthday, so we'll probably go to a movie of my choice. Either way, we have pretty much the same taste in movies so it doesn't really matter who chooses what we see - it's just nice to do it this way for our birthdays. Anyway, we went to see "Aw.ay We Go". A word of warning for any babyloss mamas and papas out there whose nerves are still super raw (they'll always be raw - I mean those of you for whom this is a relatively new thing) - there is a scene in the movie with a babyloss couple.

CAUTION - spoiler alert for the plot of the movie. If you haven't seen it and have read the warning about the content above and still want to see it, you might want to see it before reading the rest of my post.

The movie is about a young (well, they're in their thirties, so they're young to us) couple, Burt and Verona, who are having their first baby. They moved to some out-of-the-way place to be near his parents, and then his parents decide to move the month before the baby is due. So, they decide they will move also, and the movie is about their search for the perfect place to bring up their (unborn) child. Terribly optimistic, we all know, but that's what most people seem to do when they get pregnant. They visit many old friends and family members, some of whom are very quirky.

The crunch time comes when they visit Munch and Tom in Montreal. They have an adopted family of about 5 children of varying ages, but I knew there was a reason for this when Munch asked Verona if there had been any problems yet. I knew immediately that she was a babyloss mama. Anyway, the couple go out and have a lot of fun, but they end up at a bar with a kind of Karaoke thing happening with people doing dance acts as well as singing. Anyway, Verona goes to the bathroom (as you do when you're 6 months pregnant) and we see just the two men talking. Tom looks around for Munch, and we finally see her pole dancing, but in a very slow, sad, and poignant way. The song being played is Oh! Sweet Nuthin' by Velvet Underground, which is perfect. Part of the lyrics say:

Oh sweet nuthin'
She ain't got nothing at all
Oh sweet nuthin'
She ain't got nothing at all
She ain't got nothing at all
Oh sweet nuthin'

Tom explains to Burt that Munch has just had her fifth miscarriage. There is no explanation of how pregnant she was, or whether this was a miscarriage or a stillbirth (most people don't seem to know the difference), but it is obvious that he is deeply affected by this. He stares at Munch, sadly, while she dances, sadly. He can barely talk, and it is obvious that he feels as useless to help her as I always feel with Mirne when she is feeling particularly sad. It is a beautiful scene, which I think many people will not understand, but if you want to show your non-babyloss friends what it is like, if they just don't get it, send them along to see this film and tell them that if anything, this scene is a little under-done in the grief stakes.

I found myself crying uncontrollably in the cinema, to the point where I was so sad I almost felt that I had to leave. I'm glad I stayed for the rest of the film, because it is quite cool (and quirky, as I mentioned), but I was so sad I think I will have to see it again to really know what happens. In fact, I might need to see it several more times before I can remember the scenes immediately following this one.

12 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

Ok, I only read the first paragraph of this post, in case I do want to see that movie. But I just wanted to wish you both a happy birthday. Even though I know birthdays can never be totally happy again when one (or in your case, two) of your children are missing. I had a birthday just 4 weeks after I lost Hope. So I'm coming up for another one now. Yay birthdays, celebrating the day I was born alive, when my baby wasn't.
Thinking of you both, wishing time would speed up for you!

Lindsay said...

We're going for a movie today, but that's not showing where I live.
I'll have to look it up.
Sorry that the movie was so sad. Thanks for the spoiler.
Maybe today's movie will be happier. Happy Birthday Craig!!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I have heard good things about that movie.
What are you seeing today? Happy Birthday

Juliet said...

Happy birthday to you both. Thanks for the heads up about this movie.

Tina said...

Happy Birthday to you both! It is so n ice to hear a man's perspective on our loss. Thank you for your very honest post!!

Catherine W said...

Happy birthday Mirne and Craig!

I think that I will try to watch the film when it comes out on DVD. That way, I can cry as much as I like without feeling like I should leave. And I can watch it multiple times.

Akul's mama said...

Happy birthday to the two of you. Isn't it amazing how much more sensitive baby loss parents become ...Mirne, I am so glad you have Craig by your side. He seems to want to make everything better for you and his sorrow is not just for his lost babies, but also for his wife's loss. Hope teh coming year brings wonderful things your way.

Karen said...

What a loving and thoughtful post. Wishing you both the best of birthdays under the circumstances. I'm glad you wrote this about the film, even if it is a spoiler alert, because I'd hate to have been blindsided by that scene. And we do want to see this movie! All good thoughts coming your way.

SirRabbit said...

I really want to see this movie, I know sounds wierd for me to say, but in a way I applaud film directors and indeed writers whom try to show the emotions across to the audience and the greater community how emotionally taxing it is when you lose a baby, particularly how it impacts on men too..it's really touching to see how much you care for Mirne too and vice versa..
Lovely post.

Donna said...

Thank you for posting about this movie. I'm going to look it up. Happy birthday to both of you!

erica said...

Best wishes on your birthdays - I hope they're as happy as can be and that next years' are happier. And thanks for writing about this movie.

Jenni said...

wow, thank you for posting about this. i suspect real depictions of this grief are few and far between in pop culture... another one is in julie and julia. although nothing is really spelled out, there are a couple of scenes in the movie - just a look between julia child and her husband, and another where she learns her sister is pregnant. bring tissues. but it's beautiful to me, really, when someone, anyone, is able to depict this. most of the time it is so in the closet. anyway! happy birthdays. i have been following your journey and am praying...

Post a Comment