Welcome to this blog. This blog is a place where we can express thoughts and feelings ... maybe to share them with other like-minded people. For those who are NOT like-minded (and we've seen a few comments), please will you just leave? Your lack of understanding of our situation in life is not welcome. Please take your words and go elsewhere. For those who may accidentally stumble across this blog AND who know us in real life, please contact us directly to see how we are doing. Do not rely on this blog to inform you. Thanks!

Monday, August 17, 2009

Not the exception

Craig and I visited some friends yesterday afternoon. They invited us a few weeks ago. To come and sit in the sun in their back garden and have dinner with them.

We arrived on time (as we always do -- I'm a bit picky about being punctual). My friend was at home, as was her 3 y.o. daughter. But her husband was out. She said he'd be home in an hour or so. He came home two hours later.

He's done this before. When we come and visit. He's either not there when we arrive, but then he comes home later, or he's there, but then he leaves. To go and do something like go to the gym (he has actually done this before when we were there - left to go to the gym).

I decided that I found this behaviour of his rather offensive. Actually. Why do they bother inviting us (for a day and time which we all agree on), if he's then not going to be there? Why?

I thought about this and decided that he probably doesn't like us (or doesn't like one of us). Otherwise why would he do this? I mean, isn't it rude to invite people round for drinks/dinner and then just not be there? I'm fairly certain he was at the gym (he came home looking freshly showered with a back-pack containing a towel and things).

My friend is a friend who I've known for about 8 years. Since before either of us were married. Since before babies and stuff. So we've both changed. She's been very sympathetic to us both since we lost Kees. Much more so than after we lost Freyja. I suspect that's because when we lost Freyja, we were living in Australia and she in Europe and Freyja wasn't "real" to her. Compared to Kees I mean. Kees was born - he was a "real" baby. Freyja wasn't born (there are actually a lot of people out there who don't think about how dead babies get out of their mothers bodies). In my friend's view Freyja wasn't a "viable" baby. This all despite the fact that of course Freyja was a perfectly healthy, viable, big baby. But there's no use trying to tell some people anything.

She believes that once this new baby is born, that everything will be ok. That everything will be normal. That our life will be peachy perfect.

She asked me yesterday if I have much stress. I said yes. She asked about what. I explained that my stress and anxiety relate to my dead children and to this baby inside me. She was confused. She thinks I should be able to "rationalise" my stress and anxiety away. That's what she does with anything and everything that causes her stress or anxiety. She doesn't get it. Not surprisingly. She's never given birth to a dead baby. She's never held a dead baby. She's never buried her child. She's never even seen a dead baby. She has no idea. Lucky, lucky her. She simply does not understand that even if I had ten living children now (which is not possible given that I'm turning 41 in a matter of days) Freyja and Kees would still be DEAD.

Yesterday she asked me about our friends. Our friends in Australia and in Europe. I explained to her that our old friend circle, the circle she knew, the one from before I was married, that circle wasn't really our circle any more. I explained that I've changed, my life has changed, it's not the same any more. I said that it's difficult to remain friends with people who send a card when your baby dies and then you don't hear anything from them any more. I said that it's hard when people pretend everything is ok. That it's not nice to be with people who think it's awkward to talk about dead babies. Who don't think of those dead babies as my CHILDREN.

She seemed quite confused by this concept. In fact, I was in the middle of telling her something about changing friendships, when her daughter demanded her attention. By the time she'd finished with her daughter, the conversation was over. She made no attempt to go back to it, and I could see it was a conscious choice on her part - she didn't want to talk about it. So I left it. She asked the question, but she wasn't really ready for the answer. The whole conversation (including her daughter's interruption) lasted less than 10 minutes.

She's a lovely girl, and she means well. But she's a fair-weather friend. I guess I've always known that, but (surprisingly) I was still disappointed when I was confronted with it yesterday.

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that, with the exception of one or two real life friends, no real life friends remember my children's special dates. She is not one of the exceptions.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, it must be so frustrating to make someone understand the feeling of loss and pain. Specially when they are not even trying to understand. I am sorry that you have to be around friends who do not understand what goes on in your heart..

God bless you and your family. Sending positive and peaceful vibes to you.

Hugs

ezra'smommy said...

Most people don't get it. I feel so blessed to have a few in my life that do.

Anonymous said...

Most people don't - I've struggled with this realization so much over the last year. I keep repeating to myself "if they were capable, they'd be doing it". They aren't and I don't have much to do with those people either.

Tina said...

I am so sorry. It is so difficult to be around those who don't seem to care about how we are feeling. They just don't understand...lucky them.

erica said...

There are different kinds of not getting it - this one sounds like willful oblivion. I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

Lindsay said...

I too learned that the majority of my friends were like you say, fair weather friends. Now alone, I almost feel for them.. for their inability to show compassion. You truly, sadly are stronger. I'm sorry though, that she was akward and insensitive.
I think of you and Craig, Freyja, Kees and the new baby often.
Love Lindsay

Karen said...

Oh, my. That is so painful. It's true; some people who haven't had to walk in these steps may not be able to empathize. And certainly no one except another bereaved mother will get the depth of pain we feel. Maybe that man just wants to avoid the topic so he's not uncomfortable???? Massively selfish. I'm so sorry for your anxiety. I'm glad you can express it so you're not carrying it all inside. (((hugs)))

Molly said...

I'm sorry your friends kind of suck. Mine do too. Not a single one of them has acted in a way that I would have expected or desired. I can only imagine how much worse it must have gotten for you after the loss of your second child.It sounds like maybe it's for the best that her husband kind of disappears. I can only imagine what he'd say.

Mary said...

I know that it is frustrating to be around "friends" who don't understand. They make it worse. You feel awful because you want to talk about your children and they don't know what to say.

I am sorry that your long time friend isn't emotionally there for you.

Funsize said...

I had alot of friends who never got it, who didn't like to talk about Collin because it would make me sad. I have co-workers who are like that too. I'm able to cut those friends off, but the co-workers not so much.

Sometimes I wish us babylost parents could go live in our on country, where we all understand each other. Maybe then life would be a little easier for us.

xoxo

Bluebird said...

I've tried to comment here 18 times so far, and the computer keeps eating it! Suffice it to say that I'm thinking of you. Oh yeah, and that my original comment was quite brillant ;)

Akul's mama said...

The only people who truely get it are people who have lost a baby. I wonder if I was just as insensitive before I lost Akul. Maybe I was.

Hope's Mama said...

This is all so exhausting for us. As if mourning our babies isn't enough.
xo

Post a Comment