Welcome to this blog. This blog is a place where we can express thoughts and feelings ... maybe to share them with other like-minded people. For those who are NOT like-minded (and we've seen a few comments), please will you just leave? Your lack of understanding of our situation in life is not welcome. Please take your words and go elsewhere. For those who may accidentally stumble across this blog AND who know us in real life, please contact us directly to see how we are doing. Do not rely on this blog to inform you. Thanks!

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sadness and anger

Recently I've been crying a lot.

I've been feeling overwhelmed by sadness and anger. Strange combination, some might say. But for me these two emotions have been holding hands since Freyja was born.

The man who was the funeral director when Freyja died, Andrew, told us (after Freyja's funeral) that he and his wife had also lost two babies, both at around 20 weeks gestation. They are fortunate that they also have 3 living children.

Anyway, we asked him (in our then new baby-lost parent innocence) whether it ever went away. The sadness, that is. He told us that it never goes away, and that a day didn't go by that he didn't think once about his lost babies.

I guess in some way I thought that's what would happen. That I would think about my Freyja once a day.

Of course, now, three years later, all that innocence has gone. Even if I don't consciously think of Freyja and Kees every waking moment, they are a part of me, my daily life all the time.

I was lying in bed this morning, crying, saying to my husband that I'm sad all the time. That this sadness is with me all the time.

That doesn't mean that I can't appreciate life, because I can. I can appreciate a beautiful sunrise or a beautiful sunset or my gorgeous husband. But there's this element of sadness with me all the time. A sadness which reflects my reality that my life isn't the way it should be. A sadness that I know is caused because something (someone) is missing.

When Freyja died, all I could think was "why me?" And I was convinced that somehow it was my fault. Now I know that it wasn't my fault. There was nothing that I did wrong, and there was nothing that I did not do. She just died. As for the "why me?" ... now I know it was more like "why not me".

Babies die. For. No. Reason.

And nothing I do or don't do makes a difference. They. Just. Die.

And of course that's where the anger comes in. Because I still can't understand why it happened to me. Not once, but twice.

You see, my children were both healthy. There was no reason for them to die. They should not have died.

Freyja was stillborn at 28 weeks. She weighed 1.4 kg and was 39 cm long. The doctors found no reason for her death. She was healthy. I was healthy. Accessories (placenta, uterus, cord, etc) all healthy. Unknown cause of death. Case closed.

Kees died when he was 7 weeks old. Born at 37 weeks. He weighed 3.5 kg and was 52 cm long. He was super healthy and happy. His heart stopped and he just stopped breathing one morning when he was 6w5d old. He had been weighed 2 days earlier and had put on a whopping 2.5 kg since birth!!! The community nurse said he was blooming. My beautiful son.

The emergency medical team managed to revive our son and got him to hospital to the NICU. He stayed there for two days, but the doctors determined he was brain dead (lack of oxygen because the emergency medical team took too long to revive him) and decided to remove him from the machines. His heart stopped again (this time forever) whilst we held him in our arms. An autopsy revealed an infection of the muscle around his heart, with trace evidence of a virus. A virus that in normal circumstances goes to the lungs, causing a cold. But because it went to his heart instead, there were no symptoms, no reason for us to think there might be something wrong. The first indication that something might be wrong was when his heart stopped. What happened to Kees happens to 1 in 40,000 newborn babies.

Why me? Why us?

I cry for Freyja and Kees all the time. I could cry for them at the drop of a hat. But I don't. It makes people uncomfortable. And, after all, it's been so long. So I must be used to it by now. After all, must get on with life, hey??

But I haven't gotten on with life. The most I've done in terms of "getting on" is get pregnant again. And again. I got pregnant with Kees because I needed something to look forward to. The possibility of joy in my life. The possibility of a future. I couldn't bear thinking about a future without my Freyja, and if I couldn't have her, I would have her sibling.

Then that all went pear-shaped.

So then I did it again. "Got on with my life" by getting pregnant again. Because what am I going to do if I don't have a living baby???

Aha. That's it in a nutshell isn't it? What am I going to do if I don't have a living baby? I have no fucking idea. I think I'll have to reinvent myself. I can't be the person I used to be, the one before babies, because she's long gone. And I don't know who I could be. I don't even know what I'd be like as a mum to a living baby. I was only a mum to a living baby for 7 weeks, but I really liked it, and I think I was pretty good at it. But what on earth would I do with the rest of my life if all I got was dead babies???

And the anger. Yes, the anger. The anger is not just because my children are dead. The anger is also because other people's children live. I feel anger not just at whoever/whatever is responsible for my children's death, but I feel anger at EVERYONE who has living children. Get that. And I don't know whether I'll ever get over that anger. I read a comment on a blog recently from a woman who said she thought this would be a life-long battle for her. I think that's a good description for me too. I may well be battling that anger for the rest of my life.

I can be generous to people now. Whilst I'm still pregnant. Whilst there is a possibility that I might have a living child. I can be generous to other people in their pregnancies. And for their living children. But I know that should something happen to this baby inside me, that I won't be so generous. That in fact I will be overwhelmed and consumed by anger. That I will not be able to see babies and children and families without being consumed with RAGE that my children are dead, and those children are not.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want other children to die, I just want mine to live.

I said to my sister L months ago that I wish I could swap one of my children for hers. That instead of both my children being dead, that one of mine had lived and one of hers had died. She was horrified. She started crying just at the thought of it. And that's just it isn't it? Of course she thinks it's terrible that both my children are dead, but she's happy that hers aren't. And me suggesting otherwise is terrible and mean.

Simply put, she has absolutely no comprehension of my loss, my tragedy, my life. Just trying to imagine what it would be like to lose one of her children has her in tears. Just imagining. You see when she imagines it now, she tries to imagine ME, MY losses, MY DEAD CHILDREN and how I feel in MY life. But imagining it happening to HER and one of HER CHILDREN and HER life has her in tears. Just imagining. And she doesn't even realise that I really mean it. That if it had been an option (if it was still an option) I would swap the life of one of hers for the life of one of mine. In a flash.

I'm in limbo. Hope still keeps me going, but it's a battle to keep sadness and anger at bay.

16 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

I don't think any other child out there would be safe it it meant we could have our children back. We're mothers. We'd sacrifice anyone else before our own child, given the choice. It is crazy-making I know, but I have had the same thoughts myself. I just don't dare voice them in front of most people. It is sad and isolating because we end up being so misunderstood.
You are understood Mirne, and I'm walking this scary road with you. Wishing for happy endings and happy beginnings this August for you.

Catherine W said...

I know that I can't understand what you are going through. I can't imagine how you must feel.

My mind just reels when I read about your sweet babies Mirne. Your story and the associated facts and figures leaves me asking the exact same question. Why?

Of course you would sacrifice anything or anyone for Kees and Freyja. You are their mother and you would do anything, anything at all, for them. I don't think that is terrible or mean. It is because you love them so very much.

bir said...

You know Mirne you really touched on a thought that I've had today about people, when you explain your sister. Of course it's not about wishing someone else's child dead. But the thing that people don't seem to get about our predicament is that it's not about them, it's about us. I have a friend, and acquaintence really, who I met while pregnant. Of course she had a healthy take home baby boy, right around the time that I didn't. And she's recently announced her second pregnancy. She sends me 'nice, caring' comments and messages from time to time, most of which I don't respond to, because although I don't wish to NOT be friends, I can't be friends right now. Today I got a message asking if she had offended me with her last message. WTF? No, I told her I'm just slack. But in actual fact I have no idea what her last message was about even, nor do I care. Because although I know she is sorry for my loss and oh how sad for us... I also see her carrying on with her life and posting photos of her almost ten month old baby boy's antics online. Happy for her (if I care so much as to think about it), sad for me. I don't care what she writes to me, or if it offends me. It's not about her. It's about me. I don't want her pity either. She doesn't get it and though she tries she still just doesn't. I don't need her helpful comments or her encouragement that sounds like patronising pity from the dead baby's side of the fence.
It's just not about them or their children. It's about us. I don't wish my beautiful niece wasn't here, but I do wonder why my lovely sister was blessed with three. I do wonder why my 11 month old niece, who has already had major surgery to correct congenital problems, was allowed to live and my own only son was not.
I think I've just hijacked your blog! Sorry :-/

Tonight I looked at Kees photo and thought how much he looks like Craig in that photo. And then I looked again and saw you.

Love to you xx

Anonymous said...

Mirne, your circumstances are particularly cruel. I'm crying as I type because it's just so unfair. I think all mothers of dead babies have these thoughts. I often torture myself by wondering who I'd be willing to sacrifice to have Iris back - other people's babies don't stand a chance, frankly.

And you are under an incredible amount of emotional pressure right now. Don't underestimate the effect that being 34 weeks pregnant will be having right now.

So much love xxx

Donna said...

Just here, sending you some peaceful thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I'm here too, sending love and hoping the anger dissapates for a little bit. I know it never goes away. xoxo

ezra'smommy said...

The sadness and anger have accompanied me as constants on this journey, ebbing and flowing, but always there. Just sending love and strength on this journey.

erica said...

Sadness and anger are constant companions here, too. I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around the unfairness of it all, even though I know better than to expect things to be fair.

Sending love.

Lindsay said...

I'm sure that I am one of those woman, with a live child, who perhaps has made you angry, hopefully in the past. I can't say that I understand but I feel that losing two children, would end me, therefore you are much braver and stronger than me. To still try and to still have some hope, is a feat in and of itself.
I admire you. I truly hope and believe that you will bring this baby home. You will always be a mother of three, but soon, odds are you will have a live baby in your home.
Much love Mirne,
Lindsay

Funsize said...

It's hard, dealing with the anger and sadness. I'm always sad too, even when I can be in the moment and really enjoying myself,there's always that sadness in the background. I often think of "why not me", too. Why couldn't I have just died and let my boy live- I lived a good life but he had a whole future in front of him. I'm jealous of all those people who are lucky, who have live children, and those who don't know our sadness. And as cruel as it sounds, like you, if some genie came to me and said pick a kid to die for your son to live, I'd do it in a heartbeat, without a second thought. I don't think anyone who isn't on this side of being a mom would understand that.

I am so hoping that you get a living baby out of this.

xoxo

Sophie said...

I think limbo is a good description of where we are.

Thinking of you and your precious cargo.

xx

Amy said...

Those wickedly complicated and conflicting emotions can absolutley wear us down. To see others bring their babies home is just heart wrenching. I do not wish the babies of others dead, but I do feel such betrayal when they have a live baby story to share.

Waiting in limbo is torture. I hate it. And no one can understand how painful and frustrating it is but another babylost mama.

I hope with all I am that the baby you have in your tummy is born safe, healthy, breathing and goes home with you safe, healthy, breathing and stays home with you safe, healthy, breathing, happy, and all the other good outcomes that I should include but may not be thinking of right now. (oh, the never ending, supersticious wishing of a baby lost mama!)

Lots and lots of love to you.

Akul's mama said...

I can well imagine how hard it must be to be positive after losing two healthy babies. I lost Akul and am a basket case. I am afraid to even talk about trying again. It is so scary. I do not know why some people have a dozen kids while others yearn for just one. I sincerely hope your rainbow baby brings happy colors to your life...colors that last a lifetime.

hugsssss

Juliet said...

I have similar feelings. Whenever a friend announces a new pregnancy to me, or announces a live, healthy birth, I feel a strong, visceral, physical reaction. Like extreme jealousy, like I'm going to throw up, or explode, or something, I don't know. It's something I never could have understood before losing my baby. I have the most horrible thoughts towards their babies. I hope that one day I won't feel like this.

Bluebird said...

Oh my. You stated this so bravely. And it's true - no one can comprehend our loss - your loss. And when you finally put it in terms that might make it realy to *them* - it's considered cruel and unimaginable.

And you know what? It is cruel and unimaginable. But it's your reality. I'm not going to say "our reality" here, because I really just heartbroken and at a loss for words when I think of what you've gone through. Although I have lost two children, I have not had to individual loss experiences. I honestly cannot imagine, and am dumbfounded at the fact that such a thing happened in this world so full of those innocently nieve Facebookers :)

I understand wondering, What will I do if . . . I could say all day long to stay positive, etc., etc. But I get it. And I'm just so sorry that this is your reality.

team d said...

Wow. Reading this, Mirne, made the kind words you've written on our blog seem all the more herculean in the effort they must have required. I appreciate them all the more now.

God, I hope this works for you. We, too, felt the stinging gamble of 'if it was just bad luck, it doesn't have to happen again': a sentiment I wanted to have more calming power than it did.

As for your sister, wow, what a raw emotion to share. I'm oddly comforted, though, to share in your anger.

Post a Comment