Welcome to this blog. This blog is a place where we can express thoughts and feelings ... maybe to share them with other like-minded people. For those who are NOT like-minded (and we've seen a few comments), please will you just leave? Your lack of understanding of our situation in life is not welcome. Please take your words and go elsewhere. For those who may accidentally stumble across this blog AND who know us in real life, please contact us directly to see how we are doing. Do not rely on this blog to inform you. Thanks!

Friday, April 24, 2009

What can I worry about today?

I am a worrier. (My husband jokes that he's the "warrior" and I'm the "worrier").

I was always a worrier … right from when I was a little girl. I think it contributes to my insomnia issues (where I go to bed because I'm exhausted but the moment my head hits the pillow, I think and worry about everything).

Since I lost Freyja I worry about everything all the time. I have no confidence in anything any more. I don't trust the green man at pedestrian crossings … I make no more assumptions.

Immediately following Freyja's death, I wouldn't even go out of the house without Craig. If we went to a shopping centre and I needed to use the public toilets, we'd have to head for the disabled toilet because I couldn't be without Craig.

Even today, when we are apart, for example, when I'm in the office, and he's at home (he works from home), I worry. I worry that he might fall down the stairs and hurt himself (we live on the third, fourth and fifth floors and we have no lifts at all). I worry that when he cycles to work with me in the morning, and then cycles home by himself, that he'll get hit by a car, or otherwise hurt himself. I'm sure you're getting the idea.

I worry about everything all the time.

Late last year, before I became pregnant, we booked a cruise (a fabulous 3-week Mediterranean cruise). We are planning to go on the cruise in less than 5 weeks. We've been looking forward to it soooo much!! Well, a couple of days ago I was surfing the cruise website and suddendly I noticed that they had a restriction on pregnant women travelling. Any woman who will be 24 weeks pregnant (or more) at any time during the booked cruise will not be allowed to embark.

So of course now I'm worrying. Because I will be 25 weeks at embarkation and 28 weeks at disembarkation. It never ocurred to me that this might be a problem. My pregnancy is fine … I have all the usual risks (plus my nightmare history) but I have no known physical risks associated with my pregnancy.

Of course I'm worrying!

I'm thinking of just lying. I can easily do that -- change my due date by 4 weeks. I will happily fake a letter from my doctor giving my fake due date. I don't have any problems doing that -- except it will not sit well on my conscience.

The problem is that this sort of stuff just worries me. It eats away at me. Craig knows that so he's going to ring the American cruise office today (they are likely to be more sympathetic to our situation) to try and sort something out.

We are both pissed off too because when we booked the cruise there was NO warning or check the box or anything which notified the booking passenger/s about the pregnancy restrictions. Why on earth would I automatically think "oh yes, they won't let me on board because I'm pregnant!!" I am allowed to fly around the world at 28 weeks, so why wouldn't I be able to float on a huge luxury 5 star hotel for a few weeks??

So I'm worrying.

I worry about the new baby too -- every day -- every waking minute of the day (I often wish that I could just go to sleep for the next 4 months). The worry is there all the time -- I guess that is why my blood pressure gets checked regularly. During my pregnancy with Kees, my blood pressure went up significantly at the 23 week mark. It seems that as I get closer to the 25 week mark, my body and my mind subconsciously realise that there's a viable baby in there. So then everything starts to freak me out. Work, traffic, rude people, demanding family, insensitive doctors, you name it.

Unfortunately the Netherlands has rather antiquated attitudes to pregnancy and child-birth. Do a Google search and the search will confirm it. They're not a medically progressive society. The view here is that if something has been done for 100 years in a particular way than that's good enough. If your mother did it this way, that way will be good enough for you. In the medical profession, there's not a whole lot of sensitivity to someone in my position. Actually, there's no sensitivity. And that all contributes to my worrying.

I worry about everything.

What am I worrying about today?
** whether my husband cycled home safely … which he did, because I spoke with him.
** whether we can sort this cruise problem out. This is a biggie -- this cruise was very expensive … if we can't sort it out, we're not likely to get much, if any, of our money back.
** and this new baby of course … I worry about the new baby all the time. I worry about myself if this new baby doesn't survive … I worry about Craig if this new baby doesn't survive. I worry about our future life together if this new baby doesn't survive.

I hope we get this cruise situation sorted out.

9 comments:

still life angie said...

I hope you can work it out too. It sounds lovely...Sending you non-worry vibes. XO Angie

Fireflyforever said...

I was always a worrier too and since Emma died I have to try very hard for it not to tip over into total paranoia. I hold my breath every evening between 5 & 5.30 until my husband gets home form work.
I so hope you get your very necessary R&R, Mirne.

Julie said...

I'm usually a "she'll be right" type of person, I tend to go with the flow and not worry about things I cant change but........ today I have been worried about two very morbid things, about two people close to me. Too morbid to type. I want it to go away. I will end up having to check on them to see that they are OK.

I hope you are OK too.

Hope's Mama said...

I was always a worrier too. All the women in my family worry. My dad calls it "Hereditary Terminal Paranoia". The one time I was not really worried though, was pregnancy. Well at least not after the "safe" period of 12 weeks. Then even less after 20. Then less again after about 25 weeks, when bubs was viable. Then less again at full term. The worry came back once I went in to labour though, and I felt things were wrong. They were horribly wrong, but no one was paying any attention to me by this stage. I was like the "girl who cried labour".
Simon also rides to work. And it makes me worry. I even worry about the dog getting run over, as I can't lose him too. I worry about anything and everything these days. The worst has happened and I'm not immune from more bad stuff happening.
I hope you get to take that cruise. You deserve it Mirne. I think I'd fake a due date too if I were in your shoes.
xoxo

3D models said...

I hope the cruise situation works out Mirne and sending you both good luck vibes for that and I worry alot too, I think I have more grey hair and more worry lines than a 60 year old woman!!! fortunately my dye job which makes me look like Ozzy Osbourne has covered the factual evidence of worry in the hair atleast as for my face.. well I don't know if I ever will be confident about Botox..
perhaps I shall live with my war wounds, my battle scars the lines everywhere..and no Joan Rivers consequences...thinking of you and Twinkle..and sending you gentle vibes..

3D models said...

PS it's me lou, jason hasn't signed off his blog google, his 3D blog!!!

Mirne said...

Thanks all -- I'm glad I'm not the only over the top worrier :-)

The cruise scenario was good/bad. Bad news is they won't let me on the cruise :-( ... good news is that they'll give us a 100% refund!

So we've already booked and paid for flights, hotel, etc, so instead of cruising in and out of Rome for 3 weeks, we'll go camper-vanning for three weeks in southern Italy ... nearly as good!!!

Julie said...

Sounds delicious to me. Think of all the local cusine you will be able to sample. It will have to beat mass produced factory kitchen fare that you would get on the cruise. It must have been a pretty spectacular cruise to beat camper-vanning in Southern Italy for 3 weeks. I hope you have a wonderful mid/late spring getaway.

Hope's Mama said...

Hah, this is when you could really use the line "everything happens for a reason"!!!
Southtern Italy and camper-vanning sounds fabulous. I hope you two have an incredible time. Eat, drink and be merry.
xoxo

Post a Comment