Welcome to this blog. This blog is a place where we can express thoughts and feelings ... maybe to share them with other like-minded people. For those who are NOT like-minded (and we've seen a few comments), please will you just leave? Your lack of understanding of our situation in life is not welcome. Please take your words and go elsewhere. For those who may accidentally stumble across this blog AND who know us in real life, please contact us directly to see how we are doing. Do not rely on this blog to inform you. Thanks!

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Meaningless (but hurtful) prattle

People are always full of bits of wisdom when something happens to someone else. I've noticed this over the last few years. They say the most inane things to you ... probably because they don't know what else to say. But quite frankly ... I'm over it. I don't want people to say anything to me that they don't think about first.

Really, really stupid stuff. Like:

"... it was probably for the best".
(huh???? how??? whose best??? maybe I should say that to the next person who suffers a bereavement - "oh, it was probably for the best". how can it ever be "for the best" if a child dies? how can it ever be for the best for a parent to have to bury their child? how???)

"... at least you can have another baby".
(is this supposed to make me feel better? i might have another baby, but will it live? and (let's face it) that new baby will never ever in a million years replace his/her big brother or sister ... from experience i can tell you that another baby does not make you feel better about the one that's lost to you.)

"... at least you know you can get pregnant".
(what??? how is this a comfort AT ALL??? getting pregnant is always the easy part for me. being pregnant does not necessarily mean I'll get a living breathing child. and let's face it -- being pregnant is not a great experience at the best of times ... certainly not if you've suffered all those discomforts and indignities to then not even be able to (actively) parent your child ...)

"... don't let it make you bitter".
(nnnnnooooo ... bitter? never. in fact, i rejoiced when my babies died, and I thought "well, at least I can have another one". of course i am bitter. how can i not be bitter? if someone knows how not to be bitter, please let me know.)

"...I know how you must feel. my grandmother died recently".
(right, and your grandmother was how old? oh yes, 75 years old. you must know exactly how i feel. burying an old woman who has lived her life, has made her choices and used her opportunities. yep, that compares to burying a baby who didn't get a chance to live his/her life.)

"...we were too sad, that's why we didn't call".
(selfish selfish selfish people. how dare they even say this to anyone who has lost a child.)

And then when you're pregnant with a child after your loss, people come up and say stuff like:

"I'm sure this time will be fine - your baby will be perfect!"
(inane reassurances which are meaningless and just serve to remind you that ABSOLUTELY NO-ONE IS IN CONTROL and that nothing you do will make any difference. oh, and by the way, my baby was perfect, she was just born dead!)

"make sure you enjoy this pregnancy."
(why? what will happen if i'm not happy? will it bother YOU??)

"don't get too anxious/worried/stressed, because it's not good for the baby."
(that's the last thing we need to hear from well-meaning but stupid people -- that something we did or didn't do might somehow have harmed our babies ...)

I accepted comments like this after Freyja died. After all, people "mean well" and you don't want to "rock the boat" and you don't want to be "rude" and really they "don't understand". Right. I can tell you now, I was so pissed that I had to listen to all this sort of stuff that after Kees died I made a conscious decision that no-one was going to get away with saying stupid, meaningless words to me or my husband - and it was not an excuse that they didn't know what else to say.

Meaningless prattle can actually be quite hurtful. Really, all those well-meaning (but totally insensitive) words - and in response all you really want to do is bash the person around the head for opening their mouth in the first place.

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

Hi, I'm Lindsay. I came across your blog yesterday, and stayed and read awhile. I love your grit and sense of humor.
I certainly agree that people say the dumbest things at the worst of times. I have experienced a few of your examples of well meaning/retarded spoken gestures. I've even had my loss compared to a woman whose son is 21 and schizophrenic. WHAT??!!
Well, at least we won't be the ones rambling those meaningless cliche's to the fellow bereaved.
Thank you for this post. I look foward to reading more.
Love Linds

Molly said...

Hi, I'm Molly. I came to your blog from Angie's. My heart just aches as I read your story.

I've heard quite a few of these ridiculous comments as well and it still boggles my mind that so many people screw it up. Is it really that hard to say something and to have that something not be inane or hurtful? For me, though, the saying nothing has been the hardest. Do they really think I'm over it and better and they better not bring it up to remind me? Ugh...

Hope's Mama said...

I think I have had all these things said to me at some point or another. So hard not to let it get to you. Most of the time, I pull people up. I'm sick of being polite. I'm sick of letting people get away with it. I want people to learn, so they wont be such an ass the next time they know someone this happens to. I'm so sorry you have had to put up with this shit too, twice over. My heart is so broken for you Mirne.

Catherine W said...

Mirne, I am so sorry that you lost your beautiful big babies, Freyja and Kees. Thank you for sharing the photographs of your son.

I've also had all these said to me. I know people are just trying to help me in their own clumsy way but all of the above are so hurtful and UNhelpful.

Good for you and good for Hope's Mama for not letting them get away with it. You give me courage to not be so polite next time.

Someone told me recently that I should imagine losing my husband of 80 years and that would put the loss of my daughter in perspective. What? Don't they realise that I would give anything for another 80 seconds of her company.

Carly Marie said...

All my love to you xxxxx

Julie said...

Hi Mirne, I have had the one "Its just as well" The lady I was talking to thought that it was better that my baby passed away than live with sickness, Down syndrome and birth defects.
I think that she meant it was just as well she didn't have to deal with it. I had just finished admiring her fingerprint jewelry that she wore around her neck. I was saying that I wished I had known that these were available before Thomas died because I would have loved a sterling silver pendant with a fingerprint embedded in it. She had her two boys fingerprints. And she had her two boys.

CLC said...

I have heard all of these at one time or another as well. I wish somehow I could hand this post out to the person who utters one of these phrases to me next. It's funny because the only person these phrases comfort are the person saying them. There's no comfort in them for the bereaved.

SirRabbit said...

so very true, I find these statements are so harsh and ill thought out, I also hate the phrase perhaps it was nature's way...WHAT!!!! how can peple say these things...

Post a Comment