Just recently I've been crying. A lot. At night. I get scared and sad and I cry.
During the day I seem to be ok. I seem to be ok with my growing belly. I sometimes feel the baby moving now. Not much, but I've got an anterior placenta and I've got a few extra inches of fat as well. So I'm not too worried. During the day that is.
At night I worry. I remember my pregnancy with Freyja and I remember my pregnancy with Kees. I remember they were normal, healthy pregnancies. I remember there was nothing wrong there. But then I remember the outcome. I remember being at the Royal Women's Hospital in Melbourne when they couldn't find Freyja's heartbeat. I remember they didn't know what to do. They didn't know how to tell me. I remember those feelings of utter panic and denial whilst waiting for my husband to join me. I remember having to tell him that our beautiful baby had died whilst inside me. I remember his howl.
Kees was much, much worse. He came home for 7 weeks. We got to love him and watch him and cuddle him ... and then he left us. After several traumatic days which are forever etched into my heart and mind. Although I keep most of those traumatic memories locked away because otherwise I'll lose myself completely.
At the end of last year I had a breakdown. It was a fairly complete breakdown - I turned into a bit of a gibbering idiot. I didn't finish sentences, I didn't remember anything, I just didn't. Everything was too much. And now I'm feeling like I'm on that slippery slide again. The fear and sadness I feel is threatening to overwhelm me again. The fear I have for this baby (and for us) is truly scary.
What if he doesn't live? What if he doesn't live??? After all, why would he live? His brother and sister didn't? Why would this little baby boy growing inside me be any different??
To be truthful, pregnancy scares the shit out of me. This is my third one, and I have never yet started or finished a pregnancy feeling happy or relaxed or satisfied. I've always been scared ... of what might happen. They say knowledge is power. But in my case, I know way too much. Way too much. How I envy those women who walk through their pregnancies in innocence. They don't know that one out of 140 pregnancies (after 20 weeks) ends with a dead baby. I wish I could be like that.
Even when Kees was born, I wasn't ready to relinquish my fear yet. Because babies die after birth too (SIDS, etc). But we followed all the safe sleeping guidelines, we had a thermometer in his bedroom to avoid overheating. He had a breathing monitor in his cot. Yet it still all went horribly wrong.
Is it any wonder that I have dark nights where all I seem to do is cry and fear everything?
I am 22 weeks today. Under Australian law, this little boy inside me is already a legal person and has been so for two weeks. I don't know if that's the same here in the Netherlands. Probably not. I fear so much that something else will go wrong. I know that so many things can go wrong. I know all too well the many things that could go wrong with me which could cause this baby to die. And all the things that could go wrong with the baby which could cause him to die. And what would I do then?
I felt fears when I was pregnant with Freyja. I had a friend who had lost her baby the year before. I knew of the risks involved with pregnancy. I made the mistake of voicing those fears aloud to my mum. She said that "those things don't happen in our family" and that I should stop worrying because "it will be bad for the baby". As if. As if my fears could harm my baby in any way. If that was the case, my fears would have determined this child's fate a long time ago.




9 comments:
Oh I bet she'd regretting those words now. It is so sad how our parents generation is all about "not talking" about these kinds of tragedies.
There is no safe zone for us now. I worry about all the same things. I'm focusing on getting to certain points...12 weeks, 24 weeks, birth... but I too also think about sids and the many fragile months afterwards. It never ends.
I'm so sorry that nothing can take your fear away. I hope in time we will both feel a bit better about the future.
That was me. I was the blissful, unaware, smugly confident pregnant woman. For 40 weeks, that was me. I feel sick about it now. Imagine all those invisible babylost women out there I would have upset with all that belly rubbing that went on. I don't know that I'll want to leave the house this time around.
Wishing for a happy ending for you this time around. Happy endings, and new beginnings. For us both.
Ach Mirne. My mum said exactly the same thing to me. I do so wish it hadn't happened in either of our families.
I can see no future point at which I will ever stop being afraid. When I can breath a sigh of relief. I think my fear for my living child is only going to end at my own death. Or it may even persist after that point. Who knows? If anything of me is likely to persist it will be the fear and the love I feel for both my children. I still fear for the little one that I lost, I worry about where she is.
I wish that I could tell you not to be afraid, that it 'wouldn't happen in your family'. We would both know how empty those words would be. But I do so wish and hope for you and trust that we will not always be so afraid in times to come.
And Hope's Mama, I feel sick about my own smugness too. But we weren't to know, truly we weren't.
Mirne, it's bl((*(dy scary and I wish I could be there physically for you, it's so hard and the innocence and naivity is gone from pregnancy, I can't bring myself to buy anything just in case I jinx it...it's such an unknown...feeling for you so much Mirne..thinking of you too...I sold presents today for three baby showers...and I thought to myself I could Never have a baby shower, do they know how risky it is, day by day, step by step, thinking to myself each day I have with this child..but in saying that it still doesn't make things better...Louxx
Mirne, it seems so very cruel that on top of grief, we feel such fear. i am the same, and i'm not even pregnant. i can only imagine the daily terror i would feel if i were. much love to you.
Ignorance really IS bliss. I wish I could unknow what I know, too. Your loss is so profound... if I were you, I think I would want to crawl into some sort of bubble for the next 20 weeks...(or 20 years?) That longing to KNOW everything will be okay is so strong... and so unmeetable. It just can't happen. I so very much wish it could... but there's no bubble. It's an illusion :(
Knowing what you know, I don't see how this could not be scary. I hope these dark nights are followed by happier ones.
Happy Mothers Day Mirne,
Its taken "15 Years" for my family to finally recognise my precious Nicholas.
After Nicholas died, I went on to having 2 perfectly healthy children, but through those pregnancies I was always so overwhelmed with intense fear, and even though my children are now 13 & 11, I still always live in fear of losing them, so I take each very precious day with them one at a time, and savor every moment.
Nicholas will always live on in my memories and heart, as I feel he is always with me and watching over me.
Happy Mothers Day Mirne,
Thinking of you in my heart,
With Lots of Love, Hugs & Kisses,
Warmest Wishes,
Kay xxxx
Sending you a huge hug. Pregnancy is petrifying after what we have been through.
Post a Comment