This poem was sent to me by a friend recently. She, in turn, had retrieved it from a forum where a thread had been started for me on Father's Day (which I only found out about when she emailed me!). If I had known about the thread earlier, I would have posted this earlier. The poem was posted by other babyloss parents:
It must be very difficult
To be a man in grief,
Since "men don't cry"
and "men are strong"
No tears can bring relief.
It must be very difficult
To stand up to the test,
And field the calls and visitors
So she can get some rest.
They always ask if she's all right
And what she's going through.
But seldom take his hand and ask,
"My friend, but how are you?"
He hears her crying in the night
And thinks his heart will break.
He dries her tears and comforts her,
But "stays strong" for her sake.
It must be very difficult
To start each day anew.
And try to be so very brave-
He lost his baby too.
It is so true. Very few people ask how I am going. Noone cares whether I am coping with my grief. All anyone ever asks me is how Mirne is going. Whether she is coping with her grief. It means a lot that the friend who sent this thinks of me as often as she thinks of Mirne. She asks after me regularly. She includes little messages for me in her emails to Mirne. But she is the only one. Mirne's family ask me how I'm going on a very infrequent basis. But, mostly, they ask after Mirne. Of course, she is their priority over me, and I understand that. My friends don't contact us. But that's okay.
My parents don't ring or email. They are "too sad" to call us. That was the excuse they gave us after Kees' 1st birthday, when we didn't hear from them. And that is the excuse they have used since. They have been "too sad" to even think of ringing us. They said that. But that's okay, now. I've decided that my parents aren't really going to be there for me any more. My mother asked me about 3 years ago how long she had to keep being my mother. My answer, which I didn't give to her, was that it was until the day she died. But, apparently, that is not the case for her. I should have realised then that they weren't going to be there for me any more, but I didn't. But now I do.
So, now we have friends who think of me as much as they think of Mirne. And those are the friends I need. And now I have my family - Mirne. And that is the family I need. I don't need anything else. So I am going try to be happy with what I have.
Monday, September 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




34 comments:
Oh honey you have made me cry AGAIN, i love you too sweet one just as much as Mirne nothing will ever change that together we have been through so much helping our lovely girl and i hope my support helps you honey im waiting for the day i hold you tight and tell you just how special you are hold on Craig im here for you too always anytime forever just like family should.
XXXX
Craig, your post made me sad(der?). Yes, father's are always 'forgotten'. Or perhaps it's not forgotten, but just the thoughts aren't verbalised or something. I send you hugs with every email I send to Mirne and I'm sorry that I don't do more. I wish I could. I wish I knew what to do. You are loved in this house and Shane and I often wonder after you. But wondering doesn't really help does it. I know. But I don't know what else to do but keep sending those email hugs for you both :-( x
Craig,
Right on. It was my wife who's body was devastated, hormonally crying out for her dead baby. So, yeah, more concern and sympathy for her.
But what I hated was this feeling that I was expected to lay out exactly how my wife was doing. It made me feel like I was supposed to be gossiping, or confessing. And how could I really tell people how she was? That she thinks of killing herself everyday, and so do I? That's not polite conversation at the coffee machine.
Craig
I have never met you but feel that I had to write and ask how you are???? We too lost our baby at 42 weeks with no answer as to why!!!! I look back and feel so bad for my poor husband, he was my rock but who was his????? His family are from the UK, they also didn't call (because it was just too hard for them) WTF is that about.
You do learn who your true family are and it's not always blood relatives, some of my family now are actually old friends.
Hang in there Craig, I lost one beautiful little baby you have lost three, I can't begin to imagine what you are going through but just know that you are on peoples minds......even strangers!
Love,strength,hugs and lots of thoughts are headed your way.
Your new friend
Amanda
Craig - I'm so sorry that your grief and pain don't get acknowledged. I wish your parents could provide you with more support - I can't imagine a time when I would want to stop fulfilling the role of being a mother to my children. I don't get that at all. I hope you find the support you need.
Craig,
Being a man, a babylost daddy, must be so difficult. It is you guys who are expected to return to work and get through the day while we mama's are crumpled in bed with a box of tissues. It is you who is expected to be strong enough to carry both your grief and ours. It is you men who are asked the questions about how your wives are doing, with little interest in how you are doing. I'm sorry it is this way.
I do think of you while I read these posts written mainly by Mirne. I guess I respond to the author of each post when I comment and that means most of mine are directed toward Mirne.
Please know I carry both of you in my thoughts and your babies in my heart. You are grieving too. Your heart has been broken and world shattered been too.
I hope you find the support you need in both real life and bloggy land. It is terrible your family has let you down in this great time of need. I'm sorry.
Craig thinking of you - lou
Craig, I have not visited your blog before. But I read this and wanted to respond. What you've written is so similar to the things my husband has said of his experience of being the father. We also have lost 3 children. I'm so very sorry, Craig. So sorry.
Craig,
Thank you for sharing such a beautiful poem about a father's side of grief. As a babyloss dad, I can relate to these feelings. I think part of it is because of the wrong stereotype that men can't cry or grieve and that they have to be "strong" - whatever that means. But you and Mirne both share the same loss...and the same amount of grief and pain. Thinking about you both today.
Tim
Someone sent this very poem to my husband after the loss of our twins. Father's are suppose to be strong and not breakdown but that is a lot of put on someone. They need to grieve they lost their babies too.
*Many peaceful hugs*
Craig,
We think of you BOTH often in our house. My husband has had very similar experiences since our daughter's stillbirth on July 1st. His parents have also made it clear they are incapable of supporting him through this, and while family asks about him, they are much more concerned about me.
Just last night we discussed that our family now is us, him and I, and one another is all we need. I'm so sorry that so many of your friends and family have hurt you. Live for one another and forget about everyone else. You (the two of you) and your survival are all that matter right now.
Thinking of you.
Mel
I have been thinking about you a lot Craig and I am so sorry I haven't asked specifically about how you are going.
You are both in my thoughts as are your beautiful children.
Craig:
My husband and I think of Mirne and YOU often (in fact, just this Saturday, in the car, he asked if there were any new posts about you both). I know that my husband often felt the same way that you do now after we lost our twins. It's not fair that a fathers' grief is supposed to be sidelined and so much emphasis is put on us mothers. Luckily, in our situation, our friends asked about, cared for and comforted BOTH of us. I hope that the people closest to you in real life will to the same because, Craig, I promise you, the people who read your blog do think about you and your unimaginable grief and feelings of loss as a father.
Man and the tears flow again ... I have prayed for both of you everyday since I first saw your blog. I am sorry for ALL of your tears, lose and sad days. I will continue to pray for BOTH of you!
PS Shame on your mom and shame of your friends ... if I knew you in person you would be sick of me!
That is a wonderful poem speaking the truth. I am so sorry for your loss. Please forgive me for only addressing Mirne. I'm glad that you have some dear friends who can comfort you.
It breaks my heart to know that the ones we hope could and would be there for you aren't. I noticed the whole forgetting the about the father act when we started to tell everyone that we were pregnant. Everyone would rush to me and give me a hug and go on and on about what to expect and so forth. I remember thinking "and you just forgot this child will have a father too". I really felt it when we lost Lukas. Everyone would ask how I was just "knowing" he was strong. I ask him everyday but I know I am not enough. The youngest of twelve he is and only one calls to check on him. My heart goes out to you.
Dear Craig,
I am sending you love from the bottom of my heart and wishing that your beloved babies were with you. We should give babylost dads support and love to the same degree as babylost moms...people mistakenly think that because moms and dads differ biologically and may grieve in their own ways that they have less right to receive support. It's so important that you try to keep expressing what you're going through here on the blog and talking to the friends who are present for you two. Thank you so much for your post.
Love to you.
For the record, I hate when people ask me how I am doing and do not ask about hubby. I have been known to answer for both of us - even if they only ask about me. It's my way of reminding people that women are NOT the only ones that can grieve.
You lost your children too - and it's so unfair that this is often overlooked by society.
Thinking of you both. My husband also felt sidelined after the death of our son. It was another couple we knew who had lost their first child from a freak respiratory infection when he was a toddler (several years ago) who were the first to ask him how *he* was doing. The wife shared with me that they had figured when their son had just passed away, that people didn't ask her husband, "How are you doing?" because they didn't want to make a man cry. Society is comfortable with women crying (for a time anyway). She and he figured that in asking, "How's the wife?" they were in a roundabout way asking about both of them. That gave my husband some comfort. I'm so thankful you shared this poem and your feelings because you've highlighted that fathers grieve, too, and I'll bet you've given so many fathers a voice with this post. (((hugs)))
Craig, I was the one who posted that poem in the thread. I'm glad that it touched you. I was unsure whether it was appropriate to post but it felt right. Sadly I think all dad's of angels get asked about their wives more. I know this happened to my DH.
Just know that there are many of us who are thinking of you both.
Sophie, Thank you so much for the poem. When the compilation of posts from the forum was sent to me I was unsure as to who had posted this particular poem. Now that I know, thank you.
Dear Craig,
Please know that I am thinking of you both constantly and remembering that there are two of you suffering through this terrible tragedy. I remember the tears that my husband cried (and he never cries)and still does over our daughter. He will tell people he is ok but I know better. I want people to remember that fathers grieve too and just because it might not be as visible, it is still there. Thank you for posting.
Lauren xxxx
Craig,
I like that poem--the part "he hears her crying in the night..." made me cry. I know my husband hates to hear me cry in bed. But he knows I need to get it out and he lets me cry, just holds me while I do. I know this entire nightmare is just as bad for him, though. this was just as traumatic for him. I couldn't imagine seeing, hearing him go through what I went through in surgery and all. My heart breaks for him to have to go through that from the outside, what I was going through on the table. But I think you guys, like us, have come through this stronger. You are one. You are all that matters in your worlds. And that is how it should be. I know the strength you each gain from each other will be what keeps you going. My heart breaks for you.
xxoo
Craig,
I was thinking about you today. I read Mirne's last post and she wrote about how you are trying to get her out of the deep hole she finds herself in but she does not want to get out. In our case, I am the one who has to help my husband through his grief. I feel so tired because I am dealing with his grief and my own. At times I feel that I have not only lost Akul but I have lost my husband too. It is so hard to be the strong one when you are breaking up inside. Lots of hugssssss
A few weeks ago I was at a staff meeting and a colleague came up and asked me, "How's B?" referring to my hubby. I was sort of confused until I realized that he had come over just to ask me how my husband was doing. Turns out he had 8 miscarriages and just knew that everyone seemed to focus on me and not hubby. I cried and cried thinking of how thoughtful he was.
We are all thinking of you, always, even if we just address Mirne.
Please keep posting and letting us know if there is anyway we can help. Until then, you have our love.
I am so sorry people don't think about your feelings as much as your wife. I have no idea what it's like for a father to lose a child. Even though I lost a baby I dont know the pain his father goes through because we are divorced and haven't talked since the funeral. I am thinking about you and praying for your healing. *hugs*
Craig,
You don't know me, but I pray for you and for your wife, for both of you, often. I have thought often of how hard this is for you, having watched my husband be the "strong one" in so many ways I think its harder for the baby lost daddies, so much is expected of you. Thinking of you and sending you prayers for your strength and comfort through this unbearable time.
That is such a beautiful poem,Craig. It brought me to tears, reminds me what my husband has to endure. Nobody ever thinks that the father is grieving. But it's takes a mommy and a daddy to make a baby, and the daddy grieves over his baby too. I've been thinking of you and Mirne, hoping you two are surviving.
I dont know you either Craig, but i hear you. Though us online people arent there in the flesh to give you guys a hug, we are here for you guys in spirit. I know that must seem a flippantly said comment, but its not. There are thousands of us out here in the internet who think of you all and your struggles daily. We care. We care about you, and Mirne and all your babies. We love you, and we wish only the best for you guys.
I wish there was more out there for the daddies... I'm thinking of you, too, Craig... holding all of you in my heart.
I'm sorry Craig. I know my husband is going through this too. Please, would you send me your email? I want you to read his blog, even though it's only 3 entries about our daughter. rutgersbeth@yahoo.com
Sending love to your heart!
Hi Craig,
as a father who has lost a baby I can report similar experiences. The people you least expect can be brilliant at addressing and acknowledging your loss while some of those who by rights should be standing right beside you disappear over the hill.
Somedays I'm angry and upset about this, other times I just mark their card and try to accept them as they are...maybe I was once the person who should have made greater efforts to support a friend and didn't.
All I can do now is try to be a better person and look after my family and myself, and keep in touch with those who keep in touch with me.
To try to be happy with those people who are positive in your life/ our lives is probably the best any of us can do. Half the time these folks probably don't even know that they've let us down....so it's only us who are getting upset about it, and we have enough shit to be dealing with. Lord knows.
My husband and I discuss the same thing... People always asked how I was but never how he was, as though his grief didnt count as much. It's not fair... People just dont see how much the fathers ache, too... They birthed that baby from their heart as their wife birthed the child from her body...
Sending you big hugs...
Post a Comment