Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder typically begin within three months of a traumatic event. In a small number of cases, though, PTSD symptoms may not occur until years after the event.
Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms are commonly grouped into three types: intrusive memories, avoidance and numbing, and increased anxiety or emotional arousal (hyperarousal).
Symptoms of intrusive memories may include:
- Flashbacks, or reliving the traumatic event for minutes or even days at a time
- Upsetting dreams about the traumatic event
Symptoms of avoidance and emotional numbing may include:
- Trying to avoid thinking or talking about the traumatic event
- Feeling emotionally numb
- Avoiding activities you once enjoyed
- Hopelessness about the future
- Memory problems
- Trouble concentrating
- Difficulty maintaining close relationships
Symptoms of anxiety and increased emotional arousal may include:
- Irritability or anger
- Overwhelming guilt or shame
- Self-destructive behavior, such as drinking too much
- Trouble sleeping
- Being easily startled or frightened
- Hearing or seeing things that aren't there
Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms can come and go. You may have more post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms during times of higher stress or when you experience reminders of what you went through. You may hear a car backfire and relive combat experiences, for instance. Or you may see a report on the news about a rape, and feel again the horror and fear of your own assault.
Diagnosis
To be diagnosed with PTSD, you must meet criteria spelled out in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, published by the American Psychiatric Association. This manual is used by mental health professionals to diagnose mental conditions.
Criteria for post-traumatic stress disorder to be diagnosed include:
- You experienced or witnessed an event that involved death or serious injury, or the threat of death or serious injury
- Your response to the event involved intense fear, horror or a sense of helplessness
- You relive experiences of the event, such as having distressing images and memories, upsetting dreams, flashbacks, or even physical reactions
- You try to avoid situations or things that remind you of the traumatic event or feel a sense of emotional numbness
- You feel as if you're constantly on guard or alert for signs of danger, which may make you have trouble sleeping or concentrating
- Your symptoms last longer than one month
- The symptoms cause significant distress in your life or interfere with your ability to go about your normal daily tasks




2 comments:
Mirne - our neighbour up the road is a trauma psychologist and he said he's quite sure that I am suffering PTSD - that most bereaved mothers do and go undiagnosed. He referred me to a Canadian site (linked on my blog when I'd met them and wrote about it). He and his wife are going on vacation but if you wanted his email to chat with him about the ERMD therapy he's very knowledgeable and very kind - I could ask and I'm sure he'd be okay if I shared his email with you. He's grandfatherly and quite a character - very funny, very open. He and his wife are very kind, always ask us about George, and want to listen. You know what I mean? They don't ask and then tune out. I haven't done the ERMD yet but I think I will. If you learn more before I take that step I'd like to hear your thoughts/experiences. (((hugs)))
The social worker at the hospital spoke with me about PTSD after we lost L. She mentioned EMDR, and I meant to look in to it. I haven't, thank you for the reminder. I still go back, I still have nightmares to the morning L was born. I wish I wasn't still having these thoughts, dreams but I am. It stops me from sleeping at night, despite taking pills to help me sleep.
If you think you have this, maybe reach out to your Dr, a counsellor and try the EMDR.
*hugs*
Post a Comment