Welcome to this blog. This blog is a place where we can express thoughts and feelings ... maybe to share them with other like-minded people. For those who are NOT like-minded (and we've seen a few comments), please will you just leave? Your lack of understanding of our situation in life is not welcome. Please take your words and go elsewhere. For those who may accidentally stumble across this blog AND who know us in real life, please contact us directly to see how we are doing. Do not rely on this blog to inform you. Thanks!

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Expectations

We got a greeting card today. From one of my cousins (he lives here in the Netherlands). He's about 13 years younger than me, and (quite frankly) he's a prat. I've always thought so. He's a conservative, opinionated, chauvinistic prat.

Anyway, the card. It was written by his wife (of course), saying that they'd heard from my cousin's sister (who lives in Australia) that we were pregnant again. They congratulated us and said they were praying for a healthy baby for us.

It was signed (by his wife) with his name, her name and their son's name.

Their son was born about 2-3 months after Kees died last year. I was very upset by his birth at the time. But then I've been upset by every single baby born since Freyja died. Anyway, their son was born, they sent out the usual birth card to every person they know, we sent them a card and a gift. We haven't heard a single thing from them since. That was over one year ago.

My sister L rang me today. She rang just after we got the post and I'd looked at the card.

I was pissed about the card. I was pissed about the pathetic effort that these people have made in over a year. One stupid card. I said as much to my sister. She said that I should be grateful that they made an effort. She said that wasn't it better that they sent the card than if they hadn't sent the card?

I don't agree with her. In fact I disagree with her.

It's not an effort to send a stupid card after one year. In fact, doing such a thing should have shamed them into realising that they hadn't done anything else for us in the last year (or more). I understand exactly what they've been doing. They had a baby. They've been busy. Much too busy for us and our grief. That's why they couldn't call or email or send a card earlier. They've been busy. And after all, it's been more than a year since Kees died, our "mourning" period must surely be over? Surely, we're back to "normal" now??? Yes, we should be grateful for the effort they made.

My sister J (the one I don't have any contact with) also sent us a greeting card a few weeks ago. It was in a pink envelope. It had a picture of a baby girl in a pink dress on it. She wrote some crap on the inside about hoping that I have a "blooming belly". I am pregnant with a BABY BOY ... she knows this. Should I take the view that at least she made the effort??? Not bloody likely.

I spent so much time after Freyja's death wondering whether I expected too much from people. I came to the conclusion that I did.

I expected people to be supportive. To be supportive not only of me, but also of my husband. (People used to ring and Craig would answer the phone and they would ask him, "how is Mirne?", they never asked him how he was ... they did the same after Kees died.) To stick with me in my grief. To make an effort to understand what I might be going through. To listen to me. To hug me. To wonder how I was going. To be interested in my thoughts.

But as I already said, I came to the conclusion that I was expecting too much.

It appears that really what I should be expecting is a greeting card. Maybe a greeting card immediately after the death of my child. And then (if I'm really lucky) another one about a year or so later.

(Another cousin, an older cousin, contacted me about about 6 weeks ago and invited us for a coffee -- again, a random invitation after we'd heard nothing from them for over a year. I guess that was a real privilege ... not a card, but an invitation.)

You know what? I know that my expectations were (are) too high. I know I should settle for what people are prepared to give. But I can't. I can't settle for pathetic greeting cards or pathetic invitations from people who don't really care. Who so obviously haven't lost any sleep over our losses. Freyja meant nothing to them. Kees meant nothing to them. What makes them feel obliged to send us a bloody stupid card??? Or invite us for coffee when they couldn't even be bothered coming to visit us after Kees' birth ... they couldn't even be bothered coming to meet our son when he was ALIVE?????

These people should feel shame.

But instead they probably feel "good" because they've sent us a card. They'll pat themselves on the back because they've done the "right thing".

I keep trying to lower expectations, but I never quite get them low enough. Every time I think I've hit rock bottom, I realise that I'm not quite there yet.

::::::::

I'm going on a holiday tomorrow for a few weeks. Craig and I are planning to escape together. We're going to drive through sunny Italy for a few weeks. I doubt that I'll get the chance to do much blogging during that time.

See you in a few weeks. :-)




6 comments:

still life angie said...

I guess I have high expectations too. I think that is shitty. A year and nothing but a card? That is not right. Or after a year, a coffee invite? What will you talk about, how they didn't call for a year? I'm sorry people let you down. The losses run so deep. I miss the ignorance I had about my friends' and family's cowardice.

Hope you have a good holiday in Italia. Ciao ciao.

erica said...

I think you had reasonable expectations, and it sucks that people who should be loving and supporting you and Craig haven't met them.

I hope Italy is wonderful and that it allows you to escape from this sort of thing for a while.

Hope's Mama said...

Oh Mirne, I really could have written most of these thoughts myself. I have been thru so many of the same things with people. My one realisation - people suck. Even the good ones.
So jealous - Italy. I think I need to move to Europe so we can just pop over to Italy, just like that. Enjoy some gelato for me.

Sophie said...

Yep, i could've written this too. Thankgod I am not alone.

I am so sick of dropping my expectations! People just keep dropping with it!

I hope Italy is a wonderful break for you. Looking forward to hearing about it when you get back!

kay said...

Dear Mirne & Craig,
I hope your having a wonderful holiday? My name is Kay and I have a memorial blog to honour our precious loved one's. It's called "Eternal Names By The Sea", and while I was at the beach the other day, I was thinking of your precious freyja and Kee's, and I hope you don't mind, but I have written their names by the sea, and taken some photos of this for you, that I would like to email to you. If you would like to know about my memorial blog, and what its all about, the link is: http://eternalnamesbythesea.blogspot.com/
(((Hugs)))

melka said...

Of the two cards we received recognising M's anniversary, one of was a neutral but acceptable "Thinking of you..."

The other had a bright, smiling cartoonish sun on the front and the words, "Hope Today Finds you Happy."

Talk about beating around the bush when it comes to death and grief. That's not even daring to tread anywhere near the shrubbery.

Post a Comment