What's that old saying? Can't live 'em, can't live without 'em. Yep, that applies to hairdressers for sure.
Over the last twenty years of my life, I've always spent a considerable amount of time and money looking for the "perfect" hairdresser. Someone who understands where I'm coming from, someone who I like, and someone who does spectacular things with my hair. Obviously, these demands are considerable, and it usually takes me some time to find a suitable candidate.
Once I've found that "perfect" hairdresser, of course I'd stick to her like glue and hope that she wouldn't move away. But, as with all things in life, hairdressers don't stay. Always, always, always, my perfect hairdresser would move. Or I would. And then the search would be on again.
In the last two years, my husband and I have just gone to our local hairdresser. I say local because they're around the corner, but in actual fact there are probably about 10 hairdressing salons within a 100 metre radius of our apartment. This is the only one where you can walk in without making an appointment and they are by far the cheapest. I find I don't care all that much about the perfect hairdresser since Freyja died.
The problem with this less-than-perfect hairdressing salon is that the staff don't make the same effort to know me and remember me as they would in a salon which would charge three or four times as much. This means I often have the same conversations with the various staff who work there. The staff are generally very young (early-mid 20's), come from the outer suburbs and are covered with tatoos. (I love tatoos, I have one myself, but these are girls are COVERED with tatoos.) In other words, we don't have much in common (except for our tatoos ...).
Yesterday, Craig and I both went to get our hair cut.
Naturally, a polite topic of conversation was my pregnancy. I didn't bring it up, she did (not surprisingly, I'm 32 weeks tomorrow). She asked whether everything was ready and set up. I said no. She was surprised. I explained that this was my third pregnancy and we'd had some bad luck with previous pregnancies. She said, but surely nothing could still go wrong now?
Right.
This is what the whole bloody world thinks. And it drives me absolutely batty. There's an implication here that in other pregnancies, normal pregnancies, nothing would go wrong now.
So I explained to her that my two previous pregnancies were also normal until my daughter died at 28 weeks gestation for no reason. That my son Kees died when he was 7 weeks old from a bloody VIRUS which had no symptoms. That he was that one in 40,000 newborns. And that in fact many bad things can happen to babies in late pregnancy. (I could have thrown in some statistics about stillbirth and the reasons for it, but I got the impression that she wouldn't have believed me anyway. As if I would make up this sort of thing.)
But it was like talking to the wind. She was politely listening to me (her customer) but I could see it made no impact on her at all. She probably thought I was a paranoid middle-aged mother-to-be. One of the side-effects of the less-than-perfect hairdresser.
And then sometimes you meet the other person. The person who knows what you're talking about. Who has some idea of what you've gone through.
Craig came off his bike about one and a half years ago (an English tourist stepped out on to the bike path in front of him). The injury has never healed and he's been receiving weekly physio treatment ever since.
His physio, a lovely Dutch girl in her early 30's, knows about our babies. Craig recently found out that her sister's first pregnancy also ended in tragedy. When she was 26w5d pregnant she went into premature labour. There was no apparent reason for her premature labour. Her baby girl was born, but she and her partner were told that as her baby's gestation was less than 27 weeks, the hospital staff would not take any measures to save the baby. She held her LIVING, BREATHING baby girl in her arms for 10 minutes and watched her die. UNBELIEVABLE. Later investigations showed there was nothing wrong with the baby. In Australia, everything that could have been done, would have been done. There is a very strong possibility that her baby would have lived if she had been born in Australia. And all because of "policy". (This girl has since had a living baby and is now pregnant with her third. She has not been, and still is not, treated as a high-risk case.) [As an aside, this baby girl was not given a birth certificate, she was/is not a person, and she was not given a funeral -- she was treated like hospital waste ... Not surprisingly this woman is still trying to deal with the trauma of birthing her daughter, losing her daughter, and not having her daughter acknowledged as a "person". This happened about three years ago ... doesn't it just make your blood BOIL???]
There was recently an article published in an expat magazine, which stated that the numbers in the Netherlands for stillbirth (from between 22 weeks gestation until four weeks after birth) were 1 in 100.
(see: http://www.expatica.com/nl/health_fitness/healthcare/Don_t-blame-it-on-home-births.html?ppager=0.)
The numbers everywhere else in the world are about 1 in 140 (and that's from 20 weeks gestation until four weeks after birth).
Now I know why the risks are so much greater here. It's because of bloody POLICY.
I have to tell you that this country's medical system absolutely SUCKS.




15 comments:
No. No. No. That SUCKS. POLICY SUCKS. That is awful. That poor woman. To somebody like me, 26w5d is a mighty fine gestation. That baby was more developed than my own daughter THAT I HOLD IN MY ARMS TODAY, THANK GOD. My blood is more than boiling, it is threatening to spurt out of my ears. I will never, ever, ever visit the Netherlands whilst pregnant until I am over 27 weeks gestation (if I ever manage to have a pregnancy of that dizzying length). Even if I avoid the Netherlands, even if I make it to 30 weeks, even then I know that there are no guarantees. There are no guarantees for anything.
Gah, the hairdresser. I have to go. My hair is soooooooooooooooo long. I look like I've jointed a weird cult. I just don't want to go through that whole 'talking to the wind' thing. All the explanations. It's too hard. Geeesh, it's not fair. We can't even go to the hairdressers easily. Sorry about the long rant.
Hope that they managed to do spectacular things with your hair. xx
Yep, my blood is boiling, too. That's fucking terrible!
And I hear you about the hairdressers. I posted about them recently and how hard it is to be around them, and their positivity and their cluelessness. It is not limited to hairdressers though obviously. So many out there fit this description. Friends, family and strangers alike.
I realized that my mouth was hanging open reading that. That's is horrifying.
I have a friend much like that hairdresser who simply won't hear anything but the "next baby" will be fine. It is incredibly dismissive and insulting, you know. These fears we have are well-founded.
And Mirne, 32 weeks! Woah. Just sending you much love, and as much calming energy as I can get across the pond. What I wish I could do is have a cup of tea with you and bitch about the lady in person.
That's just awful. 26 weeks. Just awful. :(
I was surprised by my last haircut. I picked some random place, some random person and she asked "the question". Her and the girl she worked with were surprisingly lovely. They asked questions respectfully and were very supportive. I was pretty sure as I left though that I had been very, very lucky. I need another haircut now and I am dreading it. :(
That's an outrage and here I thought the Netherlands was very progressive and had great health care - how wrong I was.
And yes, lots of those people who live in the bubble and only want to hear good things. I guess we don't fit into their worlds.
Sending you much love and hopes for 32 weeks!
Oh God Mirne, how positively sad. But for a couple of days and they wouldn't save that baby, and then to discard her like trash??? I can't believe that in this day of "awareness" that something like that could still happen. Oh, wait, yes, actually I can. It's a travesty. As for hairdressers, I have nothing positive to say except for the fact that I have found a lovely one whose cuts are awesome and she has a beautiful personality to match. In fact, she did all our wedding hair for free when Shane and I got married. She is now expecting her first child and has no precoceived notions about things going perfectly in pregnancy after having not only me for a client, but also having a best friend whose baby died at 41 weeks gestation. When you find a good one, ya gotta hang on to her, even if it means moving when she does...LOL.
I'm now afraid of the Netherlands, and so mad about that policy that I want to hit something. It seems like the UN should be screaming at them over this.
I don't talk much with my hairdresser. I think he thinks I'm weirdly quiet, but he's good with the scissors and I tip well so it works.
Oh wow, and I thought the American health care system was messed up. That's AWFUL! I feel so sad for that lady, and all of the other families who lost babies because of "policy". It's unbelievable, isn't it??
I also have issues with hairdressers now. I also go to the local cheapest place where my husband goes now, but still it's hard to just get through a haircut. Actually my old hairdresser also lost a child, and she'd probably be sympathetic, but I'm not at the point where I'm ready to go and talk about it there yet. I just want a haircut, just a simple haircut.
Thank you so much for the comment you left on my blog about your experiences with going back to work. It gave me a lot to think about, and helped me realize that it's OK to be wherever I am in my grieving, and to take the time I need. It made me feel validated when so much of the world wants me to just get back to my old, normal self.
That is a terrible policy! I can't believe it. That was girl was incredibly ignorant about what can happen to babies. I'm sorry you have to explain your situation to strangers.
I hope your hair looks great at least...
Love Lindsay
Oh dear lord. That expatica article made me angry. I love how they blame the women... they drink, they smoke. Or, they're unlucky enough to be brown - sorry, foreign born (read: Muslim). "Those Muslims, they're just so unhealthy compared to us Dutch," is one attitude.
The real reason is what your example shows - Dutch doctors have a very tough attitude: "Things will be fine, and if not, we can't do anything."
A coworker, who lost her baby at 28 weeks (but was able to sneak the remains out of the hospital for a proper burial) puts it down to cost: it's too expensive to save every baby when the odds get so low.
I'm ashamed... horrified ... to admit that we bought into that attitude. We didn't bother calling when we worried. It's an attitude that meant we went back to the midwives when the hospital should have held on to us, an attitude that thought a checkup every three weeks is fine when you're in your 33rd week... that attitude that meant our daughter died in utero.
Reading that article, I guess our girl died because we aren't Dutch. Fuck them.
Its a hairdresser for craps sake. Your arent married or related to the hairdresser. She was being polite even ASKING about you. Not everyone is bursting to hear about your fetus. You'd be surprised how many people tune that crap out. Sorry you lost two kids but remember: you lost them not the hairdresser. And the hairdresser was just trying to be polite and upbeat. Obviously you want to wallow.
Tia, I don't know why you visited my blog or why you even bothered to leave a comment behind. You so obviously do not understand anything that I (and others) have written here, nor have you made any effort to understand. Please do not come back again. In addition, my baby was my daughter, she was not a "fetus".
Hello Mirne,
This is my first time to your blog. I came over from Angie's blog after reading your comment that somebody wrote a nasty comment to you here. And nasty it was! I've endured a bit of that myself, whether it's comments or people actually ripping me apart on their own blog. It sucks. It hurts. And it makes me feel overly self-conscious. I hope you're less sensitive than I. :)
The story about the woman and her baby at 26 weeks is just ludicrous. I know nothing about the Netherlands, but you've piqued my interest in their 'policy.'
Peace.
Sorry, Tia has a point.
I am a reader of your blog and I've been following your story, and just out of curiosity, what did you want/expect the hairdresser to say? She's not a family member (who you've repeatedly stated have wronged you with their lack of understanding), she's not a therapist, she's not a close, personal friend - what is it you want? I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious. She may have acted as though you were a "paranoid, middle-aged mother-to-be" because that is the persona you probably presented to her.
Why tell anyone you encounter about the loss of your two children if you've already pre-determined that their reactions wouldn't be pleasing enough (or involved enough) for you? She's a hairdresser - she's there to style your hair. I don't know what kind of "impact" you were hoping to impart upon her. How does her reaction, or a lack of one, necessarily qualify her as a "less-than-perfect hairdresser"? One of your other commenters referred to her own stylist as "dismissive and insulting". How is that possible? Did you ever consider that perhaps a hairdresser doesn't want to hear the story of your former pregnancies and would rather concentrate on getting her own job done instead of acting as your personal shoulder to cry upon? No offense, but again, she's there to style your hair. She's not there to hold your hand, light a candle, weep in your lap, or quote a Shakespearean sonnet; it's not in her job description. How exactly does this make her a bad person?
You're struggling through a difficult double loss, of that I have no doubt, and I'm sure you've got more of a grieving period to go through yet. But you expect and insist upon people behaving in a way that is suitable or acceptable to you, from your family to your friends to the random people that style your hair. So far it seems that few, if any, have qualified. Have you ever considered the problem might be yours? I'd imagine it must be confusing to the people who want to make an attempt to assist you through your grief. You seem to be upset that no one understands you, and then simultaneously insist that no one possibly could, because your grief is somehow so unique and noteworthy that it sets you apart from the rest of the world. I'm sorry for your loss, but despite what you've gone through, it's downright ridiculous to assume that everyone you meet is going to act in a way that you think is suitable.
Of course, I don't expect you'll actually answer with anything other than an insistence that I "don't understand you" even though I've suffered familial losses of my own, but honestly, tell me what it is you want from people. I'm listening; teach me something if you feel other people should be educated.
Wow, mean people smell bad and should run off to their own blogs where they belong...
Post a Comment