Mirne made a post here a couple of days ago which seems to have showed up the difference between those who understand and those who, quite frankly, have no fucking idea. She posted about our visit to the hairdressers. Now, we've all been to a hairdresser, and we all know that they like to ask about our lives and what's happening, where did you go on holiday, and, if you're pregnant, how's it all going. Most people answer with the usual platitudes - "We had a lovely holiday", "Yes it's been a while since my last haircut", "Oh, well, I've been soooo busy at work", "Yes, yes, the pregnancy is going very well. I'm enjoying being pregnant." Of course, this is all bullshit. What we all really want to say is how things have gone wrong.
Our hairdressers know us quite well. We may not always get the same one, but there are only about 3 or 4 girls who work there, and I'm pretty sure they know about Kees' death. The hairdresser Mirne had last time was new. She didn't know. And, of course, she asked. Mirne answered.
Now, the last time I had my hair cut I had my regular hairdresser. She had a baby boy of her own last year, about 3 months after Kees. So, about a month after he died. She asked me how Mirne was going with her pregnancy, even though Mirne wasn't there. I told her we were, naturally, worried about the outcome, and she understood (or, at least, she did a fairly convincing fake of acting as though she did). She told me that after hearing the story of Kees, she was worried about her son every time he coughed. I believed her. She cared, and she was interested in my story of our fears about this pregnancy.
Mirne's latest hairdresser didn't. She just warbled on as if Mirne had said "Looks like rain, doesn't it?" We expect people to at least listen to us, especially when they ask the question. If you ask someone how they are, at least pretend to be concerned if they say they're not feeling so well! I do. Maybe that's the difference between me and Tia and Rae. By reading someone's blog, you are asking how they are feeling. Be prepared for an answer that's not positive - most people don't feel perfect all the time, and those that do have obviously got their hands on better drugs than the rest of us!!!
My suggestion to those who don't like what they read on OUR blog, is go somewhere else. We quite obviously have suffered grief. You know nothing of our lives other than what you have read on our blog, and to say that you have also "suffered familial losses" is rather vague. We all have. It is perfectly natural to bury grandparents, parents and, eventually, siblings. If we're really unlucky, we'll bury friends and family our own age before we reach adulthood. But this is totally different to losing a child. Read any book you like, and you will discover that this is a particularly different grief. It is deeper, and lasts longer. When an older person (by which I mean NOT a baby/infant/toddler/pre-schooler), you are mourning what you have lost. You have lost the person you KNEW. Okay, up until early adulthood you are also mourning what might have been, but you are still mourning the loss of what you KNEW. When you lose a baby/infant, you don't have anything you knew to mourn. You are mourning entirely what might have been. And not only what that child might have been, but also YOUR OWN FUTURE. You will spend the rest of your life answering the question of "How many children do you have?"
Of course, the answer is NOT "None." It has to include those you have lost, because they will always be your children. And, of course, the conversation always comes around to how old they are and what they're doing. The answer to that is "They're dead." If anyone can come up with a better way of putting that, good on you. But it will always be the same in the end - awkward. And that's the point. What Mirne is trying to say is that she was disappointed in the reaction to that answer: "They're dead." Sugar-coat it any way you like, but the answer still sucks, and what separates the wheat from the chaff is the way people react. Some people show their answer on their face, and you know before they even speak that, no matter what they say, they really do mean to offer support.
And then there are the others. Their faces glaze over and they say the first trite piece of platitudinous shite that comes to the front of their brains. And then it doesn't matter what you say to them, because they have already decided that they don't want to listen. It's too hard for them. They can't deal with the horror of one dead baby, let alone two. And then they question you: "Was there something wrong with the babies?" - "No" - "Are you sure?" - "Yes, I'm sure. We had autopsies performed" (what, do they think we just make this shit up, and we'd be stupid enough to have a third pregnancy if we had a serious medical condition that had already killed two babies?). Then there are those who query the statistics. I won't go into it, but if 2 intelligent people start quoting statistics to you, listen. We're unlikely to make them up, because we know how to find them on the internet so we assume others do too. And then, if we've made them up, that just makes us look like idiots, doesn't it??? And who wants to look like an idiot??? (Except, maybe, a professional clown.)
I think this has gotten a bit off track from why I was really posting. So, back on track:
My message to all of you who feel the need to make a personal attack on Mirne when she posts is this: FUCK OFF! Seriously, I have discovered that there is only one thing I care about in this life, and that is my wife. If you want to hurt her, go ahead, but be aware that I will endeavour to stop you. And if that means haunting your blogs and commenting, extremely negatively, on YOUR personal life, I will. So don't comment on things you have no idea about, and don't tell people on their own personal blogs that they are idiots (which is what you are really doing here) - just DON'T READ IT IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH IT. GO TO A DIFFERENT BLOG WITH OTHER LIKE-MINDED PEOPLE, BECAUSE YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT LIKE-MINDED HERE.
Apologies to all of you who are like-minded (you know who you are, and Mirne and I love all of you and your input and encouragement in our journey through this grief and pregnancy).
I think I'll stop now, maybe I should post more. This was really quite cathartic.
Craig.




16 comments:
Sorry you guys had to put up with this. Some people!
Well said Craig,
I think it is quite possible that Rae and Tia are actually the same person.
Who knows - who cares actually. Don't give them anymore of your time.
You guys are loved and thought of down here in my little corner of the world.
x
^^Ditto Carly. I noticed that Rae's profile was created this month. I am sorry for what they said. I hope this never happens to them so they don't ever have to know the kind of grief "this" is.
Anyway, I have only just begun reading.
xxx
Yes, Craig, well said. It really pisses me off that people even spend their time doing this sort of horrible thing--mean, thoughtless comments on grieving parents' blogs. I do believe that karma is a bitch and she will get hers, but still, it is no solace. It would shake me up a great deal to receive a comment like that on my blog. I think Mirne's follow-up comment was perfect, and that leaving the comment will show people that you are unwilling to be insulted in your space. Just sending y'all a ton of love and support as you navigate these last weeks. With love to you both.
Craig, you rock. Thank you for standing up for Mirne, and I'm glad this wonderfully accurate and amazing post was cathartic for you. Your papa-bear instincts are spot on.
If anyone knows how to spot a genuine response to grief, it's those who have lost a child. I trust Mirne's instincts. People say the "wrong thing" all the time... but if it's said with heart, even the worst "wrong" thing said can be forgiven. But saying nothing, or saying anything to change the subject or avoid their uncomfortable feelings about it, is beyond wrong, and incredibly hurtful.
Hugs to you and screw the trolls. It takes an especially low type of person to harass those in mourning.
Much love your way....
Amen! I agree with everything you wrote. I hope the nasties stay away from your blog.
Nodding along Craig, nodding along. I had an exchange at a party on Saturday which left me breathless. I'm a bit newer at this than you guys, but I wonder when we'll EVER get used to people reacting like such assholes. It was my second last post, if you care to have a look.
Thinking of you two, and your three babies always.
I think its sad that others feel the need to put others down. Unless you have walked a mile in MY shoes, you have no idea what I feel. To tell me (or Mirne, or anyone else) that how they feel is wrong, is wrong. Going through a loss is so individual. Like Mirne, I have lost and buried two children, but my stories and experiences are different then Mirne's, so while I can relate to her feelings and grief I can't ever fully understand what she has gone through or is going through. Just like Mirne can't 100% understand me and my grief. Mirne isn't wrong, neither am I, neither is anyone else...BUT, to tell her that she is wrong for how she feels is rediculous. Mirne has every right to feel the way she does. If you don't agree, move on.
Mirne (and Craig) PLEASE don't feel the need to defend why or what you post. You have every right to say what you want on your OWN personal blog. I'm sorry there is so much nastiness in this world, and that these people feel the need to try and put you down.
Many many *hugs*
Yes Craig, you should blog more. My hubby found it surprisingly cathartic too.
I hope these morons leave you guys alone. What total, total wankers.
Is your blog googleable? I have been able to turn that off on my blog. People can google my blogs name and come up with the site, but they can't google the content. Perhaps that might stop this happening again, I don't know.
*hugs* to you both.
Well Said Craig...
Rae/Tia, Tia-Rae, Raetia
talk to your own mother, or female familial person whom has carried and birthed a baby and ask them what it would of meant for them if they had lost you as a baby...
I see that Rae likes to quote Shakespeare, I shall quote Martin Luther King
An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
and
Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Great communities, great societal machinations are based on people being understanding, benevolent towards others, acknowlegement of other peoples suffering... I would hope you wouldn't give "up your day job" not to tend to someone that has been profoundly or physically hurt that you came across..
PS Freya and Kees were not fetus' nor constructs, but fully formed human beings, held, nutured and loved by Mirne...
"A baby is a hope and sign of a beginning" to lose a parent, someone older, a familial person is to lose the past, to lose a baby is to lose the future"
Please walk in thousands of parents shoes before you make such ignorant comments, if you would like to be "educated", perhaps if I look up your IP address and see where you are from than maybe I can point you in the direction of resources in your area ie the hundreds books on the subject, group meetings, organisations, foundations that all have the information to give you in what it means to lose a baby, which is crucible, complex and profound..
or if you would like to be in a blogging community that fits your persona please go to http://www.Iamshallowandnotemotionallyevolved.blogspot.com
Some people will never get it, and I've learned those people just do not matter. Those are the people who say stupid things like "you can always have another one". They don't get it. As you said it, we don't grieve just the baby but also what would have been, we grieve all the possibilities we lost with that baby.
I'm pulling for you, your wife, and your awaiting baby.
Thank you.... for saying such important words.... words we all feel....but are sometimes unable to speak... I love reading blogs... I often find my own thoughts revealed and i think it helps me with healing...
sending blessings and good thoughts to you and your family
I am a bereaved mother from Germay and I had exactly the same mean comments regarding my situation on my blog. It made me very sad that people who obviously have not a clue off a situation have the feeling that their thoughtless words want to be read. Anyways, I am sorry it happened here as well, and wanted you to let know that some people just have no respect. I hope you can forget that...
Sending good thoughts to you and your family -
Claudia
I'm just stopping by to say hello. I found you from a comment you left on a friend's blog. Your blog caught my eye - I have a daughter, her name is Freja too. We lost her in April at fifteen days old. It breaks my heart to see that you have lost two beautiful children.
Post a Comment