
Tomorrow Craig and I will have been married for three years, three months and three weeks. By anyone's definition we're just getting over being "newly-weds". But Craig and I have had three very tumultuous wedded years ... certainly not years of bliss, although that was our intention when we said "I do" to each other on that day so long ago.
On that horribly hot day in March, we had no inkling of what lay in store for us. We were blissfully unaware of the gathering storm clouds. Instead, we were happily looking forward to married life together with our then 11-12 week pregnancy. Amazingly (to us) I was pregnant with our daughter Freyja, although we weren't aware that she was a girl at that time. At that time she was the promise of a joyous future together, the promise of a family.
I often think these days that so much happens in our lives without us knowing. So much happens which influences our lives in such a significant way, and yet we don't find out about it till later. We don't even know that things are happening in our lives which will affect us for ever -- for the rest of our lives.
My baby Freyja died inside my body without my knowledge. I didn't know that she had died until I went to the hospital. I went to the hospital just to check that everything was ok. Not because I thought that something was wrong. It didn't occur to me that something might be wrong. On Freyja's autopsy report (we have two autopsy reports now) it states that I, the mother, went to the hospital because I had concerns that I had not felt my baby move. That is incorrect. That is not why I went to the hospital. I had no concerns that I had not felt my baby move. In fact, I don't recall being concerned at all about my baby's (lack of) movements. And yet, somehow it says in the autopsy report that I was concerned about the lack of my baby's movement. Similarly, the conclusion of the pathologist in Freyja's autopsy report is that Freyja died as a result of a group B strep infection ("GBS"). In fact, the head obstetrician at the hospital where Freyja was born disagreed with the pathologist's conclusion as there was no evidence that Freyja had become infected with GBS. He said that it was the absence of any other "cause" or "reason" for Freyja's death which caused the pathologist to point the finger at GBS as a cause. Freyja's body showed no evidence of any infection -- neither did she show any evidence of anything which might have caused her death. Her death was one of the unknowns.
She died inside my body without my knowledge. Yet her conception, death and birth has changed me and my life forever.
My baby son Kees died on the sofa in our lounge room. He died after he drank his bottle of milk, had his nappy changed, and was apparently going to have a snooze on the sofa. His dad left him on the sofa for about two minutes, and when he came back, Kees had died. Kees' autopsy concluded that he'd had a virus - a cold or flu virus - which attacked his heart instead of his lungs. The outcome of that viral attack was an infection of his heart muscle which caused his heart to stop. Just like that. No symptoms, nothing. His heart just stopped and he died in an instant. My beautiful baby son Kees.
He died in an instant and we didn't even know that he might have been ill. Yet his conception, birth, life and death has changed me and my life forever.
When we got married three years, three months and three weeks ago, none of these events were even a possibility for us. With the exception of Freyja's birth. Her birth was an exciting event ... something to look forward to. Although (and I have to admit it) I was scared too. Can you believe that??? I was scared of childbirth. I was worried about it. I worried about it for months. And then, the actual event, after we found out that Freyja had died inside me, it was an anti-climax. I went into spontaneous labour late in the evening of the 24th of July and I gave birth very early in the morning of the 25th of July. If I compare the actual event of birthing my daughter Freyja, I have to admit that it was less traumatic than birthing my (living) son Kees. There's food for thought.
But the point is my life has deviated frantically from the course it was on. Nowhere in our future plans was there an inkling of death (any death) or multiple deaths. We were healthy, our immediate families were healthy. Nowhere was there a thought that maybe I would have more than one child. Or that I would be burying a child -- or that I would be burying two children. Or that I would somehow end up being pregnant for the THIRD time in three years.
I know a lot of people surround themselves with inspirational writings and quotes -- you know the stuff. "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger" and the like. Right. Anyone who's read my blog before will know that I think that's utter bullshit. What doesn't kill you might not make you stronger at all. It might make you weaker. It might make you scared. It might strip you of all the courage and independence you had. I could go on, but you're getting the idea. Inspirational quotes and writings do not give me my life back. They do not give me my children back. They do not give my future back. They do not give me my happiness back. They do not give me my hope back.
I wonder if I had had an inkling of what life had in store for us back then on that horribly hot day three years, three months and three weeks ago, whether we would have chosen, or would have been able, to do things differently.




7 comments:
I remember the early days of my pregnancy with Ellie - before we ever considered that we might not actually bring a baby home. The biggest worry was how to deal with all the visitors after the baby was born and how sick being pregnant made me. Little did we know what was in store for us. The death of our daughter has changed my husband and I forever. It makes me wonder if I will ever really believe in the good things again.
Mirne - this is such a gorgeous picture of you, and you and Craig look happy, like you belong together.
I don't know how much of our lives we can control. I keep telling myself that I've done the best I could with the information I had at the time, and sometimes this keeps the doubts at bay, but not always.
That is such a lovely wedding picture. You both look gorgeous, happy and at ease.
How well you describe it. I sometimes wonder how long those storm clouds were gathering around me, swirling away on the edges of my life. Since I was born? Since I first started dreaming of children of my own? When I picked out her name over ten years ago? Since my wedding day?
Most days I'm glad I didn't see them coming. I was walking around smiling over my pregnancy whilst Georgina was becoming progressively sicker and sicker inside me. Already it had started and I still thought that everything was fine.
All that background movement, slowly pulling us along in directions that we never anticipated. It is frightening. I wonder what events are in motion now, events that I don't realise the significance of?
Despite my optimism, I'm not a great one for inspirational quotes either.
And that truly was food for thought. I'm still thinking about that one.
You two are gorgeous. So relaxed and happy. I want to scream out to you both to warn you of what was coming, but like us, I don't think you would have listened, as like us, you would never have thought that could or would happen to you. Hugh sigh.
I too feared childbirth, so much. I am annoyed at that now, as in the end, when they told me at 40weeks 4 days she'd died, that was the least of my worries. And yes, the greatest anti climax of my life. It was just a job I had to get through then. Turns out fearing the death of your child is what I really should have been worrying about, but that doesn't happen to young healthy girls like me, so I really never gave it any thought.
It is still so hard to believe we all ended up like this. I wonder when it will ever make any sense.
Same.
With much of it. You put in words the way I feel about things. Spot on.
I thought, and remember saying to people, that I was the luckiest person in the world. I had met and married my husband when I had started peptalking myself to singledom for life. We had the same goals of children, so there was no negotiating, there was no commitment phobia (oh how I was good at finding those ones!). And then we were expecting in no time at all. Exactly as planned. It was all so perfect.
I'm glad I didn't know what was in store for us. I too look at our wedding photos, so happy, and amazed that those people, in less than two years, have had to endure the pain parents, let alone "newlyweds", should never have to endure. Should never have to stand up to the stress, anxiety, the pressures, the despair and the absolute sadness.
And you have said so well about 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger'. I feel like everything I've worked my whole life to build has now been destroyed forever, and I am now back to that shy, confidence lacking, gawky little girl.
Love to you Mirne x
http://allthelittleponies.blogspot.com
You look gorgeous. Happy anniversary. And inspiration quotes - they are for people who haven't had any really bad shit happen to them (yet) and take solace in them for the manageable, regular crap that life hands you from time to time. Not applicable for burying your children one bit. Much love.
Wow, what a thoughtful post and oddly appropriate for me too...My anniversary is coming up and I had been flipping through wedding pictures looking at how happy my husband and I were on our wedding day. Little did we know then we would experience loss after loss trying to start our family, culminating with the death of our son eight months ago. If I knew that day what was ahead for us, I probably would have backed out, out of the marriage, out of having children. I would have let my husband marry someone younger, who didn't have issues getting or staying pregnant, someone who wouldn't have a baby born with a genetic defect. It's heartbreaking for all of us, yet it's hard to go back and imagine life without my babies even though the love for them came with a price. Hugging you
Post a Comment