Welcome to this blog. This blog is a place where we can express thoughts and feelings ... maybe to share them with other like-minded people. For those who are NOT like-minded (and we've seen a few comments), please will you just leave? Your lack of understanding of our situation in life is not welcome. Please take your words and go elsewhere. For those who may accidentally stumble across this blog AND who know us in real life, please contact us directly to see how we are doing. Do not rely on this blog to inform you. Thanks!

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Three years

Three years today. That's how long it's been since our little girl was born.

People used to say to me "time flies" and I never believed it. When you're single and don't have any responsibilities to anyone else, when you're focussed only on yourself, time doesn't really have any meaning. Something wonderful is always just around the corner.

But when you have children, suddenly you can SEE time flying by. You can SEE your children growing. You can MEASURE time by the size of their feet, their hands, the new clothes you need to buy. You can CELEBRATE time with every birthday that comes your way.

Unfortunately, even when you don't have your child in your arms, but only in your heart, time still flies.

It's hard for me to realise that three years has gone by.

I can remember those days like they were yesterday.

That day that I went to the hospital and heard those dreadful words. That morning (only about 16 hours after we found out she had died) when she was born. The absolute horror and shock when you realise it's not a nightmare ... it's much worse ... it's reality.

My baby girl would be three years old today. Should be three years old today. Instead of a day of celebration, a day when we measure time and wonder at it's flight, instead we mourn that day and we mourn time's flight.

Has it gotten any easier? Yes, it has. Has it gotten any better? No, it hasn't. It just is.

Time is so cruel in a way. It passes by, and life goes on, and other children grow. Other children who grow -- to me they serve as a constant reminder of what my children didn't get to do.

I close my eyes and I remember that early morning on that Tuesday three years ago. I remember so clearly my labour. I remember so clearly my complete distress. I remember when she was born. I remember hoping against hope that the doctors were wrong -- that she would breathe. I remember at first being too scared to hold her. I remember eventually holding her and HOWLING.

I remember it all.

Like it was yesterday instead of three years ago.

20 comments:

Hope's Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catherine W said...

You are right. Time still flies without them, just as it would do if they were here. Other children grow up, whilst they remain forever babies. Time is cruel. It carries us, implacably, relentlessly, further and further away from them.

Abiding with you and Craig today. Remembering your sweet daughter, Freyja Ione.

SirRabbit said...

-------Remembering Freya today and you are so right you don't actually quite believe the doctors when they say it and you just hold so much hope that they are wrong, I don't think we will ever forget those moments of giving birth to our children... I hope today is gentle for both yourself and Craig, thinking all your family today..

Hope's Mama said...

Oh Mirne, yes you are so right. This is much worse than a nightmare, as I have often called it. It is reality. Nightmares we can wake up from. This loss stays forever.
Today I will pause to remember Freyja. I will remember your first born. Your little girl who made you a family. You a mother, Craig a father. The three of you a family.
Today I will remember with you. With much love.

still life angie said...

Mirne, this post rings so true to me. How we measure time with loss. How quickly it all goes when we start measuring it with responsibility and pregnancy. And where you are now. "It just is." And we are all sad. I will be remembering Freyja today, and you and Craig, and Kees too. With much love.

Sophie said...

I'm so sorry Mirne. So incredibly sorry that she isn't here with you, as that happy giggling little toddler she should have been. xx

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Mirne that Freyja isn't here with you, where she belongs. Sending you much love. xo

Claudia said...

Thinking of you today and lighting a candle for that surely sweet little girl.

Claudia

Kristy said...

Thinking of you today Mirne. So many *hugs* to you, Craig and your precious little girl.

Debbie said...

Thinking of you also, with an aching heart. I'm so sorry.

Kerry said...

Sending huge huge for you both across the oceans today as you remember your sweet little princess, Happy birthday little one mummy and daddy miss you so much send down some angel kisses to them to help them through this time without you in their arms.

Hugs

XXX

Anonymous said...

You're right- time flies. Like you, I can't believe it goes by so quickly. I remember being so big and uncomfortable and unable to sleep because it was so hot last year. It still feels like yesterday.

I'm remembering you and your family, and I even lit a candle for your daughter today.

xoxo

Monica said...

This is such a strongly resonating post for me. Yes, time is a funny thing. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

3 years is no time at all and such a long time.
I'm sorry that we can remember the horrible, horrible things in so much more detail than the happy things most times.
I think you are so amazing and I didn't get a chance to comment over here on the troll thing, but I'm sorry that happened to you.
Really, I think you are amazing!
I'm thinking of you, Craig, and your children today.
Christy :)

Donna said...

Happy birthday Freyja!

Mirne - you are absolutely right about the passage of time. It does make things easier, but never really changes how much it hurts.

Sending you peaceful thoughts!

CLC said...

Sorry I am late to this. Happy belated birthday to sweet Freyja. Wishing she was here in your arms, along with Kees. Think of both you and Craig.

erica said...

Sending love, Mirne.

Lindsay said...

I am so sorry.

Cheek said...

I'm so sorry Freyja isn't here to celebrate her birthday with you. Wishing you a peaceful remembrance day...sorry to be late.

T said...

Three years, I can't even imagine your feelings. Sending you and little Freyja much love.
So sorry...so very sorry.

Post a Comment