Of course, much scarier is the thought that everything might not go well. And because that's our overriding thought at the moment, we're not really doing a whole lot to prepare for this baby.
We have a lot of stuff in the apartment already (albeit in storage) from our previous children.
We didn't buy a whole lot of stuff for Freyja when I was pregnant, but we had a bit. We brought most of it back to the shops after she died.
We didn't buy much at all for Kees either when I was pregnant with him, and we brought some of it back when he died. We had bought a fabulous Moun.tain Bug.gy Ur.ban Jun.gle for him and he loved it!! But when we bought it we were so filled with fear that something might go wrong, that we arranged with the lady in the shop that if something was to go wrong, we would be able to bring it back. So we brought it back. I regret it so much. :-( Kees loved that buggy! We pushed him all over Amsterdam in that buggy ... through rain and sleet and snow. And he slept in his arctic conditions sleeping bag through it all. Family and friends bought stuff for Kees when he was born. Lots and lots of clothes. I had enough clothes for him to see him through until he was about two years old! I wrote his name in all those clothes ...
After Kees died we dismantled his cot, bundled up all his clothes and toys and stored it all away. I have been hoping that we would be able to take it all out again one day for another baby. I hope this baby is the one, because there won't be any other babies. :-(
We don't have many clothes for newborns. A good friend lent us a heap of her stuff and Kees spent most of his 7 weeks wearing borrowed clothes. He was growing out of it very quickly and the week before he died, we washed it all and brought it all back. So I need to buy some newborn clothes for this baby.
The same good friend also lent us her baby capsule for in the car as well as a baby bath (with stand) for in our bathroom. We brought it all back.
I guess what I'm saying is, we need to get stuff out of storage, wash it and set it all up. We need to re-arrange our spare room (not much spare about it -- it's choc-a-bloc full to the ceiling) so that Kees' lovely blue cot will fit in. Craig and I sleep in our attic and there's no space for a baby up there. We need to buy a new baby capsule for when we use a car (we don't have a car but we're part of a car-sharing club). We need to buy a baby bath and stand for the bathroom.
I have been very brave over the last few weeks and bought a new pram. Another Moun.tain Bug.gy, a Swi.ft this time, because we did so love our buggy last time. We also bought a buggy liner and arctic conditions sleeping bag with it. And I even bought a Moun.tain Bug.gy travel bag for it on E.bay. I have also bought a Ba.by Bj.orn carrier on E.bay (because we'd borrowed that last time too). So I'm making a start.
But every time I do something for the new baby ... every time I buy something ... every time I talk to my husband about preparing something ... I get scared. I'm scared that I'll curse this pregnancy or the baby.
I'm scared to be hopeful.
My husband is scared too. He doesn't want to talk about this baby or this pregnancy or anything. He's just trying to keep his distance.
When we do talk, we both assume this baby will die too. Just so that we're not too shocked if that's what happens. This probably sounds insane to most people, but that's just what we do. We did this last time too. We were completely prepared for Kees to be born dead. Because that's what we know ... that's what we expected. And we were just getting over that fear, that expectation, when he died.
But you know what? The fact that we were expecting it somehow lessened the shock. I was nowhere near as shocked with Kees' death as I was with Freyja's. Because that's what happens to our babies. They die.
Hence our reluctance to make any plans whatsoever for when this baby is born.
I want to hope. Sooooooo much. But I'm scared to.
I want to plan. Sooooooo much. But I'm scared to.
I want to prepare. Oh so much. But I don't want to have to pack everything away again if our baby dies.
What a dilemma.
In the meantime, our plan is just to coast along for another 31 days and then, if everything goes well, Craig will be doing some last minute shopping for his new son. And I'll be supervising the re-arranging of the spare room, and the putting together of Kees' cot.
I hope.




21 comments:
Oh Mirne, I am so sorry. I completely understand this post. I feel the same way but probably not as intensely as you.
We didn't get rid of Jordan's things. All the brand new, used for only two weeks, wonderful things. Her cradle, her pram, sids moniter... I wanted to take it back. We could have, but Aaron was determined to hang on to it for future children. It will be hard pulling it all out of it's boxes again. So hard.
I have only bought one bunny rug (which I haven't touched since) and on the weekend I bought four cheapy t-shirts. It is so incredibly hard to buy for this baby not knowing, relying on, the outcome. I understand your fear and your reluctance. I really do.
I have no intentions of setting up a cot or the car seat either until this bubs is born and we are told when we can take him home. Even then, there will always be fear.
Anyway, just wanted you to know that I really get this post. I understand it. I really really do.
xx
I can completely undestand your hesitation and fear. After Ellie's death - I got rid of everything even remotely baby related. This time we are starting from scratch. DH & I have both agreed to wait to buy anything until after the baby is born. I've bought a few clothing items from the consignment shop but other than that - everything else will be done after.
Mirne,
I send you all my peace and love to you at this time. I am hoping for you friend.
You are always in my thoughts :)
xxx
I can't believe it's "this time" already :) I can imagine the conflicted emotions you must have. Part of me thinks I will never buy another baby item again, until a baby is born alive. . . Part of me thinks - why not? I've packed up all that stuff once before. It was heartbreaking, granted, but so was the entire situation.
Wishing you peace, and health to you both.
I literally can't open the door to the nursery, let alone prepare anything for this baby. I'm not as far along as you, but I can't envision myself doing anything in preparation for this baby until I see whether she arives alive.
I can only imagine how scary a time this must be for you. I'm hoping hard as I can, though, that the only packing away you have to do this time is when your little one outgrows his things.
I can only imagine how terrifying this time is; please know we're with you. Big hugs.
Mirne, I'm so sorry things are so hard right now. Your feelings are normal and SO justified. I know with L's pregnancy, I didn't do much to prepare, I barely bought anything because I was so scared. When I finally let my guard down and bought some clothes with him, we lost him. IF we had another baby I would be very much like you. It sucks, I miss the innocence.
*hugs*
I can't imagine how hard it must be to plan, to hope, to prepare.
I did have to go and take a look at the buggy. It's gorgeous. I'm glad that it is the same make as the buggy that Kees loved so much.
So, so difficult. Hoping with you. xx
It must be so very very terribly hard for you to believe this baby will come home safe and stay safe. I am thinking of you and the baby you carry and wish with all I have everything goes well.
Lot's of love
Oh, I'm hoping along with you. It's hard to be hopeful when all you know death. But, I hope this pregnancy proves both you and your hubby wrong and you get to keep this baby. I hope I hope I hope.
xoxo
We still have all of our baby things, and the nursery is fully set up and ready to go. We never took anything down last time. I wasn't sure what was going to make me more sad, so we just left it there.
I'm with you on all your fears, Mirne.
I am hoping with you.
Mirne, it is terrifying, isn't it? Hoping and praying along with you.
xo
Much love to you on this journey... so close. I want to hope with you. For you. Please let it be. Please. HUGS.
I know that I don't know you at all and we live an ocean apart, but I am thinking, hoping, and praying with you. I just can't wait to hear your fabulous birth story, see the beautiful pictures of your new baby, and in the years to come hear stories about him/her growing up.
I hear you on this one and I can imagine it would be extra terrifying, I am terrified myself..I am wishing you all the support and love to you both and as PP said I really can't wait to see those photos up, the excitement to walk into stores and go h**l for leather in buying up big for baby, sending you all my good wishes.xxx
I am so very very sorry for your losses. I really pray your rainbow baby brings all the colors back in your life.
We're with you sweetie - we know that the happily ever after isn't a given, and the worst thing that can happen is not, in fact, colic. I think you just really need to be gentle with yourselves... be gentle with each other and accept whatever it is you need - if you need to plan and buy things then go for it - shove the fear aside and do it. If you need to just get through the next bit and not think about it, then don't worry about it. You'll improvise; you'll figure things out. If he sleeps in his fancy new stroller for a bit because his room isn't ready, that is okay. Just be gentle and kind with yourselves.
We're with you. I'm praying for you and thinking of you, and mostly I am just *believing* for you that this will work out wonderfully. Please hang in there...
These last few days are so, so hard. As I was reading I started clenching my fist so tight for you. Hold on, Mirne. You're almost there.
I feel like that too. I want to plan, to be excited, to prepare. But I feel like it might be all for naught.
I'm thinking of you (and thanking you for your support on my blog) and hoping for a boring 31 days and a gorgeous, screaming baby on the other side.
Post a Comment